BoatBanter.com

-   -   2000 Maxum 1800Sr (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/796-re-2000-maxum-1800sr.html)

Bill Andersen August 22nd 03 11:27 PM

2000 Maxum 1800Sr

Bigger is better, within limits.
I have the 3 ltr MerCruiser in my 19' Bayliner bowrider and it's adequate
for hauling a maximum load while tubing and wakeboarding. When my 200# body
tries to ski, I have to hold my breath a long time during the hole shot. I
don't know if I could hold my breath long enough to get up on a slalom ski!
The good news is that the 3 ltr engine is economical on fuel and
maintenance.
If you're not going to be doing serious skiing (probably not - you're not
getting a ski boat), and if you're willing to live with the fact that once
in awhile you'd like to have more power, the 3 ltr engine's OK.

"Tom" wrote in message
om...
I am new to the boating community and would love some help on a boat I
am thinking of buying. Does anyone have any thoughts on the power of
the 3.0 Ltr Mercruiser (inboard) that comes with Maxum 1800SR. Plan
on using it to bring people out for some skiing, tubing, cruising
etc... I've read on some threads that the bigger the engine the
better.

Thanks.

Tony Thomas August 23rd 03 02:15 AM

2000 Maxum 1800Sr

Don't do it. Not enough power for you to be happy for several years to
come. There are plenty of boats out there. Find one w/ the V6.

--
Tony
My boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

Woodchuck August 23rd 03 03:14 AM

2000 Maxum 1800Sr

You will not be happy are a few times out. My suggestion consider a V8
engine with about 200hp minimum.