BoatBanter.com

-   -   Help - cleaning a monitor (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/78731-help-cleaning-monitor.html)

JLH March 2nd 07 09:37 PM

Help - cleaning a monitor

How does one clean an LCD monitor. One site said to use a damp cloth
(water) but no cleaners. I tried that, but ended up with streaks on the
monitor.

Any ideas?

Note: I may one day put this monitor on my boat. (Whew!)
--
John H

Eisboch March 2nd 07 09:54 PM

Help - cleaning a monitor

"JLH" wrote in message
How does one clean an LCD monitor. One site said to use a damp cloth
(water) but no cleaners. I tried that, but ended up with streaks on the
monitor.

Any ideas?

Note: I may one day put this monitor on my boat. (Whew!)

Weiman E-tronic Wipes.

(ammonia free and anti-static)

http://www.weiman.com/products/furni...onic_wipes.php

Eisboch

JLH March 3rd 07 01:29 AM

Help - cleaning a monitor

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:54:38 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"JLH" wrote in message
.. .
How does one clean an LCD monitor. One site said to use a damp cloth
(water) but no cleaners. I tried that, but ended up with streaks on the
monitor.

Any ideas?

Note: I may one day put this monitor on my boat. (Whew!)

Weiman E-tronic Wipes.

(ammonia free and anti-static)

http://www.weiman.com/products/furni...onic_wipes.php

Eisboch

Great! And WalMart carries them. I'll try to get some tomorrow.

Thanks!
--
John H

JoeSpareBedroom March 3rd 07 01:06 PM

Help - cleaning a monitor

"JLH" wrote in message
How does one clean an LCD monitor. One site said to use a damp cloth
(water) but no cleaners. I tried that, but ended up with streaks on the
monitor.

Any ideas?

Note: I may one day put this monitor on my boat. (Whew!)
--
John H

90-whatever percent isopropyl alcohol. It's what's used to clean them when
they're manufactured.

Short Wave Sportfishing March 3rd 07 01:13 PM

Help - cleaning a monitor

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:06:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"JLH" wrote in message
.. .
How does one clean an LCD monitor. One site said to use a damp cloth
(water) but no cleaners. I tried that, but ended up with streaks on the
monitor.

Any ideas?

Note: I may one day put this monitor on my boat. (Whew!)

90-whatever percent isopropyl alcohol. It's what's used to clean them when
they're manufactured.

According to the manual that came with my NEC Multisync, alcohol is
verbotin.

RJSmithers March 3rd 07 01:32 PM

Help - cleaning a monitor

wrote:

"JLH" wrote in message
How does one clean an LCD monitor. One site said to use a damp cloth
(water) but no cleaners. I tried that, but ended up with streaks on the
monitor.

Any ideas?

Note: I may one day put this monitor on my boat. (Whew!)

90-whatever percent isopropyl alcohol. It's what's used to clean them when
they're manufactured.

According to the manual that came with my NEC Multisync, alcohol is
verbotin.

I am told that the monitor will absorb any chemicals you apply, and will
screw it up big time. According to all the web sites I could find they
agree alcohol is a NO-NO (also known as "verbotin")

According to some experts they recommend:
from About.com
Keep your LCD monitor clean with these steps:

Turn off the computer and display
Use water only to dampen a lint-free cloth. Do not spray liquid directly

on the screen Wipe the screen

You may also use a mild glass cleaner that contains no alcohol

or ammonia, available at most office supply stores. Apple has tested a
product called Klear Screen and found it does not cause harm to plastics.

http://lifehacker.com/software/lcd/h...tor-179659.php

This may have been common sense to many of you, but I'd been putting

off a much-needed clean for a while because I didn't want to destroy the
beautiful, mysterious screen. Since my instinct was to use some rubbing
alcohol or glass cleaner (boy was I off!) to get the job done,
I'm very glad I checked beforehand. Alcohol on your monitor can cause
damage
to the coating and dry out and crack the plastic. You can use mild,
non-alcoholic
detergents (and Apple does endorse one), but I'll probably stick with water
for now

JoeSpareBedroom March 3rd 07 01:38 PM

Help - cleaning a monitor

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:06:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"JLH" wrote in message
. ..
How does one clean an LCD monitor. One site said to use a damp cloth
(water) but no cleaners. I tried that, but ended up with streaks on the
monitor.

Any ideas?

Note: I may one day put this monitor on my boat. (Whew!)

90-whatever percent isopropyl alcohol. It's what's used to clean them when
they're manufactured.

According to the manual that came with my NEC Multisync, alcohol is
verbotin.

Interesting. It worked fine for me on a Toshiba and a Sony. Oh well.

Harry Krause March 3rd 07 01:52 PM

Help - cleaning a monitor

wrote:

"JLH" wrote in message
How does one clean an LCD monitor. One site said to use a damp cloth
(water) but no cleaners. I tried that, but ended up with streaks on the
monitor.

Any ideas?

Note: I may one day put this monitor on my boat. (Whew!)
90-whatever percent isopropyl alcohol. It's what's used to clean them when
they're manufactured.

According to the manual that came with my NEC Multisync, alcohol is
verbotin.

Interesting. It worked fine for me on a Toshiba and a Sony. Oh well.

My Samsung manual sez to use plain water on a lint free paper towel. I
use water and lens cleaning paper towels I bought at an optical store.