BoatBanter.com

-   -   Nestling boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/77991-nestling-boats.html)

riverman February 1st 07 10:05 AM

Nestling boats

Long time trippers probably know that a 16' Explorer will fit nicely
inside the hull of a 17' Explorer (if you remove the thwarts and seats
from the larger boat) which makes it very convenient for transporting
boats. I've done this to fly in boats on the pontoons of single engine
Otters in the NWT.

My question; since modern Explorers aren't the same quality as the old
hulls, are there any other boat pairs that nestle like this? The key
is that the clearance inside the larger boat with the inwhales
intact has to allow the smaller boat to fit inside.

Anyone know of any other nicely-fitting pairs of boats, preferably in
the 16 and 17 foot range?

--riverman

Carey Robson February 1st 07 05:37 PM

Nestling boats

16' Explorers, both abs & kevlar fit inside 17' 3" Old Town Trippers.

Sincerely,
Carey Robson
www.CanoeBC.ca

ups.com...

Oci-One Kanubi February 1st 07 05:58 PM

Nestling boats

On Feb 1, 5:05 am, "riverman" wrote:
Long time trippers probably know that a 16' Explorer will fit nicely
inside the hull of a 17' Explorer (if you remove the thwarts and seats
from the larger boat) which makes it very convenient for transporting
boats. I've done this to fly in boats on the pontoons of single engine
Otters in the NWT.

My question; since modern Explorers aren't the same quality as the old
hulls, are there any other boat pairs that nestle like this? The key
is that the clearance inside the larger boat with the inwhales
intact has to allow the smaller boat to fit inside.

Anyone know of any other nicely-fitting pairs of boats, preferably in
the 16 and 17 foot range?

Coleman canoes. You can nest a half dozen (or more) together!

Fred Klingener February 2nd 07 04:21 PM

Nestling boats

"riverman" wrote in message
ups.com...
Long time trippers probably know that a 16' Explorer will fit nicely
inside the hull of a 17' Explorer (if you remove the thwarts and seats
from the larger boat) which makes it very convenient for transporting
boats. I've done this to fly in boats on the pontoons of single engine
Otters in the NWT.

My question; since modern Explorers aren't the same quality as the old
hulls, are there any other boat pairs that nestle like this? The key
is that the clearance inside the larger boat with the inwhales
intact has to allow the smaller boat to fit inside.

Anyone know of any other nicely-fitting pairs of boats, preferably in
the 16 and 17 foot range?

Chestnut used to make nesting sets. I dunno of any manufacturer promoting
the idea now.

The other thing is that you might be able to buy a couple of Kleppers and a
couple of Maule trips for the princely fare for the Beaver, Otter or 185
cargo/passenger trips. You can get into more places too. Out of, too, maybe.

Fred

Drew Dalgleish February 3rd 07 04:11 AM

Nestling boats

Most of the swift canoes have straight or slightly flared sides so
they may nest. On most newer canoes the bouyancy chambers are so big I
doubt that a 16' would fit in a 17' more likely a 15' in a 17'

oups.com...

riverman February 3rd 07 02:29 PM

Nestling boats

On Feb 3, 12:11 pm, (Drew Dalgleish)
wrote:
Most of the swift canoes have straight or slightly flared sides so
they may nest. On most newer canoes the bouyancy chambers are so big I
doubt that a 16' would fit in a 17' more likely a 15' in a 17'

Bouyancy chambers...??
grin

--riverman

Steve Cramer February 3rd 07 06:55 PM

Nestling boats

riverman wrote:
Bouyancy chambers...??
grin

Yeah, see unlike foam core plastic, composites (fiberglass, Kevlar,
carbon fiber) don't float very well. If you don't want your Wildfire to
go to the bottom if you flip it, you build a chamber that holds a couple
of gallons of air into the bow and stern. This means that if you had
another boat that was a foot shorter and six inches narrower, it
wouldn't fit inside.

Looks like this: http://www.savvypaddler.com/Images/buoychamber.JPG.
Yeah, i know the boat is dirty.

Steve

Drew Dalgleish February 3rd 07 09:42 PM

Nestling boats

On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 13:55:17 -0500, Steve Cramer
wrote:

riverman wrote:
Bouyancy chambers...??
grin

Yeah, see unlike foam core plastic, composites (fiberglass, Kevlar,
carbon fiber) don't float very well. If you don't want your Wildfire to
go to the bottom if you flip it, you build a chamber that holds a couple
of gallons of air into the bow and stern. This means that if you had
another boat that was a foot shorter and six inches narrower, it
wouldn't fit inside.

Looks like this: http://www.savvypaddler.com/Images/buoychamber.JPG.
Yeah, i know the boat is dirty.

Steve

I think he was just playing net nanny and picking up on my lack of
spelling skills.

Steve Cramer February 3rd 07 10:42 PM

Nestling boats

wrote:

riverman wrote:
Bouyancy chambers...??
grin

Yeah, see unlike foam core plastic, composites (fiberglass, Kevlar,
carbon fiber) don't float very well. If you don't want your Wildfire to
go to the bottom if you flip it, you build a chamber that holds a couple
of gallons of air into the bow and stern. This means that if you had
another boat that was a foot shorter and six inches narrower, it
wouldn't fit inside.

Looks like this: http://www.savvypaddler.com/Images/buoychamber.JPG.
Yeah, i know the boat is dirty.

Steve

I think he was just playing net nanny and picking up on my lack of
spelling skills.

Oh, maybe so. I guess that means my spelling as as bad as yours, and i
probably underestimated riverman. Oops.

Steve

riverman February 4th 07 07:08 AM

Nestling boats

wrote:

riverman wrote:
Bouyancy chambers...??
grin
Yeah, see unlike foam core plastic, composites (fiberglass, Kevlar,
carbon fiber) don't float very well. If you don't want your Wildfire to
go to the bottom if you flip it, you build a chamber that holds a couple
of gallons of air into the bow and stern. This means that if you had
another boat that was a foot shorter and six inches narrower, it
wouldn't fit inside.

Looks like this:http://www.savvypaddler.com/Images/buoychamber.JPG.
Yeah, i know the boat is dirty.

Steve

I think he was just playing net nanny and picking up on my lack of
spelling skills.

Oh, maybe so. I guess that means my spelling as as bad as yours, and i
probably underestimated riverman. Oops.

Actually, I totally missed the spelling gaffe, and I never play
netnanny on those anyway.

For expedition boating, especially commercially, glass, carbon fiber
and kevlar boats are too expensive and fragile. ABS is by far the most
predominant hull material, and of course does not need buoyancy
chambers.

However, in addition to the top of the line composite boats, float
chambers are also a hallmark of those bottom of the line summer camp
fiberflass models. I was actually underestimating you, Drew, and
thought your experience was limited to those old beaters, and
Colemans.

--riverman