BoatBanter.com

-   -   "personal" EPIRBs? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/76173-personal-epirbs.html)

Kula November 27th 06 04:35 AM

"personal" EPIRBs?

I've been watching as the EPIRBs keep getting more sophisticated and
smaller. Now I see "personal" EPIRBs offered. These are small enough to
wear on your life vest. Since I kayak and sail small boats in the waters
off Oahu, I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to get one. Does anyone
have any experience with them?

kula

Brian Nystrom November 27th 06 02:16 PM

"personal" EPIRBs?

Kula wrote:
I've been watching as the EPIRBs keep getting more sophisticated and
smaller. Now I see "personal" EPIRBs offered. These are small enough to
wear on your life vest. Since I kayak and sail small boats in the waters
off Oahu, I was thinking it might not be a bad idea to get one. Does anyone
have any experience with them?

They're definitely not a bad idea. The only thing that's keeping them
from being more widely used is the fact that they're still pretty
pricey. If you've got the cash, go for it.