BoatBanter.com

-   -   Fishing (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/76003-fishing.html)

Eisboch November 19th 06 12:39 PM

Fishing

Eisboch Jr. doing some fishing last week in Key West.

http://www.eisboch.com/cuda.jpg

Eisboch

JohnH November 19th 06 01:14 PM

Fishing

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 07:39:15 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Eisboch Jr. doing some fishing last week in Key West.

http://www.eisboch.com/cuda.jpg

Eisboch

Cool. Are 'cuda edible?

NOYB November 20th 06 07:26 PM

Fishing

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
On 11/19/2006 7:39 AM, Eisboch wrote:
Eisboch Jr. doing some fishing last week in Key West.

http://www.eisboch.com/cuda.jpg

Eisboch

Nice 'cuda. Looks like he is a patient of NOYB.

He's a little young.

NOYB November 20th 06 07:27 PM

Fishing

On 11/19/2006 8:14 AM, JohnH wrote:
On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 07:39:15 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Eisboch Jr. doing some fishing last week in Key West.

http://www.eisboch.com/cuda.jpg

Eisboch

Cool. Are 'cuda edible?

Yeah, but there is a significant risk of ciguatera.

I ate 'em in Mexico, and had no problems. But that was before I knew about
ciguatera.

thunder November 21st 06 12:44 AM

Fishing

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:27:23 +0000, NOYB wrote:

Yeah, but there is a significant risk of ciguatera.

I ate 'em in Mexico, and had no problems. But that was before I knew about
ciguatera.

It's my limited understanding that ciguatera isn't limited to barracuda,
but to any fish that predates reef fish, i.e larger snappers, groupers,
etc. It's a nasty illness.

Calif Bill November 21st 06 02:32 AM

Fishing

"thunder" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:27:23 +0000, NOYB wrote:

Yeah, but there is a significant risk of ciguatera.

I ate 'em in Mexico, and had no problems. But that was before I knew
about
ciguatera.

It's my limited understanding that ciguatera isn't limited to barracuda,
but to any fish that predates reef fish, i.e larger snappers, groupers,
etc. It's a nasty illness.

Depends a lot on the method of handling the fish after death. Put it in a
burlap bag on the deck and squirt it with a hose every so often does not do
well, but putting the fish on ice prevents the ciguatera from what I
understand. As to eating them, maybe the Atlantic Barracuda tastes better
than our west coast version.

thunder November 21st 06 11:52 AM

Fishing

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 02:32:20 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

but putting the fish on ice prevents the ciguatera from what I
understand.

I don't know. It's a toxin, not a bacteria. I wouldn't think icing the
fish would make any difference.

NOYB November 21st 06 06:35 PM

Fishing

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 02:32:20 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

but putting the fish on ice prevents the ciguatera from what I
understand.

I don't know. It's a toxin, not a bacteria. I wouldn't think icing the
fish would make any difference.

It doesn't. You can't ice it away nor cook it away.

It is supposedly prevalent in other predators that feed on reef fish (like
amberjack and grouper), but I haven't heard of anybody that I know getting
sick from eating those fish...only barracuda.

Vic Smith November 21st 06 06:50 PM

Fishing

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:35:34 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 02:32:20 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

but putting the fish on ice prevents the ciguatera from what I
understand.

I don't know. It's a toxin, not a bacteria. I wouldn't think icing the
fish would make any difference.

It doesn't. You can't ice it away nor cook it away.

It is supposedly prevalent in other predators that feed on reef fish (like
amberjack and grouper), but I haven't heard of anybody that I know getting
sick from eating those fish...only barracuda.

They've discounted thallium as the cause of that Russian in England
taking sick, and still suspect Kremlin poisoning.
But I'm starting to think he's about dead from just eating that sushi.
Who knows what toxins are in it. Maybe a touch of puffer.

--Vic

Calif Bill November 22nd 06 03:55 AM

Fishing

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 02:32:20 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

but putting the fish on ice prevents the ciguatera from what I
understand.

I don't know. It's a toxin, not a bacteria. I wouldn't think icing the
fish would make any difference.

I understand it helps control the toxin. Maybe it fails to migrate to the
eatable parts from the stomack / fats.