BoatBanter.com

-   -   Where is the difference? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/75832-where-difference.html)

Matt Pieklik November 14th 06 03:27 AM

Where is the difference?

Can anyone tell me where the difference is between a 1973 Johnson 20 hp and
a 1973 Evinrude 18 hp ? Is it a marketing ploy or a different high speed
jet? It all looks the same to me. Thanks in advance , Matt.

[email protected] November 14th 06 03:42 AM

Where is the difference?

Not really sure about this, but usually, if there is a difference in
the engines, it's likely to be different jets, and/or larger throats in
the carburation and possibly nothing else.

OH, and possibly price when new.

Larry November 14th 06 03:07 PM

Where is the difference?

"Matt Pieklik" wrote in
:

Can anyone tell me where the difference is between a 1973 Johnson 20
hp and a 1973 Evinrude 18 hp ? Is it a marketing ploy or a different
high speed jet? It all looks the same to me. Thanks in advance ,
Matt.

Don't let the marketing confuse you. It says Johnson 20 or Evinrude 18 on
the engines, it DOESN'T say Johnson 20 HP or Evinrude 18 HP on it,
anywhere.

Number inflation on outboard motors has always been a problem. This years
Evinrude 50 will be next years 55 and the year after that's 60....It has
nothing to do with actual shaft horsepower driving the prop. It's a
number, without a value.

The only difference between the two engines you're talking about is
probably the price. The Evinrudes were the Caddys and the Johnsons were
the Chevy.

Look at the props on them. Same prop? Same RPM? = Same horsepower.

Larry
--
My calendar must be wrong....
In all the stores, it's ALREADY Christmas!