posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Pelican/Coleman canoe seat separation

Wonder if anyone's seen anything like this before?
http://www.geocities.com/sblume/download3.jpg
http://www.pelican-intl.com/touring.html
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=66001

This is the second season of lake canoeing for us. The water can get a bit
choppy. Sunlight on the black seats heat them up pretty good. Except for
the trip from the dealer, the canoe has not been transported. A couple of
weeks ago we noticed tears in the midships and bow seats. The midships seat
has never been used. There are three tears, each about two inches long at
the 90 degree bend where the seat meets the gunnel.When we contacted the
dealer, he in turn contacted Pelican. We were advised that the separation
was likely from canoeing without the seat pedestals, (no, never done that)
and they could send us some metal brackets to patch the tears. They did not
offer to replace the seats, in spite of a "two year limited warrantee".
Anyone have a similar experience?

Steve
sblume at yahoo dot com

posted to rec.boats.paddle

"Steve B." wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
[...]

Hmm, someone come to Coleman's defense now, and tell us how they aren't
really the piece of crap that people say they are.

--riverman

posted to rec.boats.paddle

riverman wrote:
"Steve B." wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
Hmm, someone come to Coleman's defense now, and tell us how they aren't
really the piece of crap that people say they are.

Coleman canoes are definitely the "Walmart" of canoes, but they do
float, and that's THE most important feature of a canoe. You can't deny
that.

You get what you pay for, yano? You want an excellent high-quality
canoe with top warranty and after-sale support, ya gotta pay for it.
When you shop for the bargain basement price, you're gonna get what you
pay for.

Better to be in a boat on the water than standing on the shore wishing,
yano? ;-)

John Kuthe...

posted to rec.boats.paddle

wrote in message
oups.com...
riverman wrote:
"Steve B." wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
Hmm, someone come to Coleman's defense now, and tell us how they aren't
really the piece of crap that people say they are.

Coleman canoes are definitely the "Walmart" of canoes, but they do
float, and that's THE most important feature of a canoe. You can't deny
that.

You get what you pay for, yano? You want an excellent high-quality
canoe with top warranty and after-sale support, ya gotta pay for it.
When you shop for the bargain basement price, you're gonna get what you
pay for.

Better to be in a boat on the water than standing on the shore wishing,
yano? ;-)

John Kuthe...

http://www.lauche-maas.de/suche_seit...toffboote.html

785 Euros / US$1000 is cheap?

Steve B.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

From looking at that picture, that is so much of a manufacturer warranty
issue that I can't understand why they wouldn't replace it. I worked in the
industry, though not for Coleman or Pelican, and can see clearly that they
should replace this. Did you send them the picture? I'm assuming that you
did. Have you tried calling them and talking to a manager or even the
president of the company?

Courtney

"Steve B." wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle

We sent a series of pics to the dealer, who in turn forwarded them to
Pelican. That Pelican offered to send the dealer a set of reinforcement
straps suggests they've run in to the problem before, which is why I posed
the question to the newsgroup. The dealer is forwarding our reluctance to
accept a makeshift solution to Pelican. I'm curious to see if the EU laws
do a better job of protecting the consumer.

Steve

"Courtney" wrote in message
. ..
From looking at that picture, that is so much of a manufacturer warranty
issue that I can't understand why they wouldn't replace it. I worked in
the
industry, though not for Coleman or Pelican, and can see clearly that they
should replace this. Did you send them the picture? I'm assuming that
you
did. Have you tried calling them and talking to a manager or even the
president of the company?

Courtney

"Steve B." wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Steve B. wrote:

http://www.lauche-maas.de/suche_seit...toffboote.html

785 Euros / US$1000 is cheap?

Cheap? It's freaking outrageous. Those things go for US$569 over here.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...Id=18785218842

What does a good ABS canoe (aka Canadian) cost in Germany? Wilko, any
info from the Netherlands?

Steve

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA
posted to rec.boats.paddle

"Steve Cramer" wrote in message
Steve B. wrote:

http://www.lauche-maas.de/suche_seit...toffboote.html

785 Euros / US$1000 is cheap?

Cheap? It's freaking outrageous. Those things go for US$569 over here.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...Id=18785218842

What does a good ABS canoe (aka Canadian) cost in Germany? Wilko, any info
from the Netherlands?

Steve

--
Steve Cramer
Athens, GA

Looking at a retailer in Germany, the 16 foot Old Town Penobscot goes for
around 1500 Euros, or nearly 1900 USD. The exchange rate is the killer, and
it doesn't look to improve. You don't know how good you've got it over
there, both for price and assortment. Ebay is an alternative, sometimes
with paddles and PFDs thrown in:
http://sport.listings.ebay.at/Ruder-...istingItemList

Steve B.
Lake Wolfgang near Salzburg

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Steve, unfortunately you may not have bought it cheap in absolute
terms, but it is certainly the most cheaply manufactured canoe known to
Americans, and it is about the cheapest in relative terms, here.

But, having said that (and absent matters of detail like the seats, of
which I've heard nothing) the Coleman turns out to be one of the most
durable canoes on the American market.

When people say, with respect to Coleman (and, I guess, now, Pelikan),
that "you get what you pay for", they are generally speaking of
performance characteristics, which are abysmal. But the thing really
shouldn't be coming apart on you after only two years. I hope you
succeed in getting the seats replaced.

-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
Richard Hopley Winston-Salem, NC, USA
.. rhopley[at]earthlink[dot]net
.. Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
.. rhopley[at]wfubmc[dot]edu
.. OK, OK; computer programming for scientific research also matters

Steve B. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
riverman wrote:
"Steve B." wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
Hmm, someone come to Coleman's defense now, and tell us how they aren't
really the piece of crap that people say they are.

Coleman canoes are definitely the "Walmart" of canoes, but they do
float, and that's THE most important feature of a canoe. You can't deny
that.

You get what you pay for, yano? You want an excellent high-quality
canoe with top warranty and after-sale support, ya gotta pay for it.
When you shop for the bargain basement price, you're gonna get what you
pay for.

Better to be in a boat on the water than standing on the shore wishing,
yano? ;-)

John Kuthe...

http://www.lauche-maas.de/suche_seit...toffboote.html

785 Euros / US$1000 is cheap?

Steve B.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

"Oci-One Kanubi" wrote in message
ups.com...
Steve, unfortunately you may not have bought it cheap in absolute
terms, but it is certainly the most cheaply manufactured canoe known to
Americans, and it is about the cheapest in relative terms, here.

But, having said that (and absent matters of detail like the seats, of
which I've heard nothing) the Coleman turns out to be one of the most
durable canoes on the American market.

Beg pardon? Durable only if you don't bump rocks, have a snowbank form on it
or drop it off your roofrack. Any canoe will be 'durable' if not subjected
to stresses, but Coleman's are notorious for having their aluminum skeletons
warp out of shape when subjected to forces that other boats rebound from.

--riverman