BoatBanter.com

-   -   Stalling inboard center console (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/740-stalling-inboard-center-console.html)

Dirk August 18th 03 07:55 PM

Stalling inboard center console

I have a center console with a 305 chevy inboard 4 barrel carb. The
engine starts and runs perfectly - but - when it fully warms up and I
slowly troll for an hour or so it stalls and won't start until it
cools - sounds like vapor lock but the copper supply line that runs
over the engine is at best warm to the touch..The air intake to the
compartment is from two forward scoops attached to 4 inch hose - that
is it. No intakes on the center console itself.. Any thoughts? More
air intake?

Thanks

Larry W4CSC August 18th 03 09:34 PM

Stalling inboard center console

Why not just leave the blower(s) running all the while the engine is
and see if that fixes it?

On 18 Aug 2003 11:55:12 -0700, (Dirk) wrote:

I have a center console with a 305 chevy inboard 4 barrel carb. The
engine starts and runs perfectly - but - when it fully warms up and I
slowly troll for an hour or so it stalls and won't start until it
cools - sounds like vapor lock but the copper supply line that runs
over the engine is at best warm to the touch..The air intake to the
compartment is from two forward scoops attached to 4 inch hose - that
is it. No intakes on the center console itself.. Any thoughts? More
air intake?

Thanks

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.

Rural Knight August 18th 03 11:17 PM

Stalling inboard center console

"Dirk" wrote in message
om...
I have a center console with a 305 chevy inboard 4 barrel carb. The
engine starts and runs perfectly - but - when it fully warms up and I
slowly troll for an hour or so it stalls and won't start until it
cools - sounds like vapor lock but the copper supply line that runs
over the engine is at best warm to the touch..The air intake to the
compartment is from two forward scoops attached to 4 inch hose - that
is it. No intakes on the center console itself.. Any thoughts? More
air intake?

It doesn't take much to create vapor lock - does it happen at
higher speeds than trolling? If not, then it probably is vapor
lock.

Use an octane booster if it is.

Later,

Tom

megabite August 19th 03 01:18 AM

Stalling inboard center console

Sounds like a weak coil that when hot, simply fails and won't generate
enough to do the job. Does it run a little rough just before quitting?

noah August 20th 03 01:36 AM

Stalling inboard center console

On 18 Aug 2003 11:55:12 -0700, (Dirk) wrote:

I have a center console with a 305 chevy inboard 4 barrel carb. The
engine starts and runs perfectly - but - when it fully warms up and I
slowly troll for an hour or so it stalls and won't start until it
cools - sounds like vapor lock but the copper supply line that runs
over the engine is at best warm to the touch..The air intake to the
compartment is from two forward scoops attached to 4 inch hose - that
is it. No intakes on the center console itself.. Any thoughts? More
air intake?

Thanks

I would suspect vapor lock.
"...copper supply line that runs
over the engine is at best warm to the touch."...

"Warm" gasoline will vaporise easily. Try rerouting the line, or
getting more air through the bonnet.

Good luck,
noah

Rural Knight August 20th 03 02:05 AM

"noah" wrote in message
On 18 Aug 2003 11:55:12 -0700, (Dirk) wrote:

I have a center console with a 305 chevy inboard 4 barrel carb. The
engine starts and runs perfectly - but - when it fully warms up and I
slowly troll for an hour or so it stalls and won't start until it
cools - sounds like vapor lock but the copper supply line that runs
over the engine is at best warm to the touch..The air intake to the
compartment is from two forward scoops attached to 4 inch hose - that
is it. No intakes on the center console itself.. Any thoughts? More
air intake?

Thanks

I would suspect vapor lock.
"...copper supply line that runs
over the engine is at best warm to the touch."...

"Warm" gasoline will vaporise easily. Try rerouting the line, or
getting more air through the bonnet.

Would that be an Easter Bonnet or Engine Bonnet?

~~ snicker ~~

Later,

Tom

noah August 20th 03 02:24 AM

Stalling inboard center console

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:05:02 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

"noah" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

O.K. ...ya' got me.
Now what are you gonna' do? :ož

BTW- it was a "Sunday-Go to Meetin' bonnet"
White, with a blue ribbon.
noah

Rural Knight August 20th 03 11:45 AM

"noah" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:05:02 GMT, "Rural Knight"
wrote:

"noah" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

ROTFL!!!

I mentioned to my nephew that I had repainted the
engine bonnet on my Ranger and I needed new RAM
and FICHT stickers for it and he looked at me and said
"Stickers for what?" and I said "For the engine bonnet -
cover - the engine cover." He just shook his head and
started looking for new stickers.

LOL!!

Oh well.

Later,