BoatBanter.com

-   -   Is there any evidence that wing blades improve your speed for sea kayak racing? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/73209-there-any-evidence-wing-blades-improve-your-speed-sea-kayak-racing.html)

[email protected] August 24th 06 05:00 AM

Is there any evidence that wing blades improve your speed for sea kayak racing?

Just wondering if there is unequivical evidence that wing blades work.
I did my first race this week averaging around 6min30 sec for 6 kms.
How much faster can go with wing blades. Im using a soltice gt. Also, i
cant really move my knees up and down in the soltice as cockpit is so
confining.

Schöön Martin August 24th 06 09:19 AM

writes:

Just wondering if there is unequivical evidence that wing blades work.
I did my first race this week averaging around 6min30 sec for 6 kms
How much faster can go with wing blades. Im using a soltice gt. Also, i
cant really move my knees up and down in the soltice as cockpit is so
confining.

I have no idea but not being a kayaker I must ask what you mean by
"averaging around 6min30 sec for 6 kms". Surely not that 6 km took
you 6.5 minutes because that would mean 29.9 knots of average speed
or a new world record for human powered water craft by a rather wide
margin.

--
Martin Schöön

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back"
Piet Hein

Walt August 24th 06 03:10 PM

wrote:

Just wondering if there is unequivical evidence that wing blades work.
I did my first race this week averaging around 6min30 sec for 6 kms.
How much faster can go with wing blades. Im using a soltice gt. Also, i
cant really move my knees up and down in the soltice as cockpit is so
confining.

I have no idea. Since this group is ostensibly about sailboat racing,
you probably won't get the answer here.

You might want to ask the nice folks over at rec.boats.paddle.

Andy Champ August 24th 06 09:26 PM

Schöön Martin wrote:

writes:

Just wondering if there is unequivical evidence that wing blades work.
I did my first race this week averaging around 6min30 sec for 6 kms
How much faster can go with wing blades. Im using a soltice gt. Also, i
cant really move my knees up and down in the soltice as cockpit is so
confining.

I have no idea but not being a kayaker I must ask what you mean by
"averaging around 6min30 sec for 6 kms". Surely not that 6 km took
you 6.5 minutes because that would mean 29.9 knots of average speed
or a new world record for human powered water craft by a rather wide
margin.

Runners talk about "6 minute miles" I'll guess that's 6:30 per Km. 4kts
or so, much more reasonable!

Andy