BoatBanter.com

-   -   Shortening a kayak? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/72884-shortening-kayak.html)

[email protected] August 15th 06 10:50 AM

Shortening a kayak?

Dear All,

I have recently acquired 2 fibreglass kayaks.

Given our lack of storage space, I am considering shortening them.

Has anyone done this before?

I have done some research into glass fibre moulding, and if I was to do
it, was planning on making a male mould that I would leave wedged into
the cut ends and lay the fibre over it. My brother has some experience
of glass fibre moulding and is prepared to advise too.

One is 3900 long, the other 4200 long. The width is around 600mm.

I have calculated the volume of the shorter one as being around 360
litres.

Surely I can afford to lose some volume given that some modern kayaks
are as little as 180 litres and I'm not that heavy?

I read a little somewhere about people shortening plastic kayaks, so I
would have thought this would be more straightforward?

I know it could be quite time consuming and messy but it seems a shame
not to make use of kayaks that would otherwise have been destined for
landfill!

I have had some advice from another couple of forums advising that the
paddling efficiency could be reduced, this is not too much of a problem
as I will only be covering short distances on a placid local river.

I understand that bouyancy and waterline depth will be affected too.

Any thoughts/advice gratefully received!

Regards,

Nick

Grip August 15th 06 03:00 PM

Shortening a kayak?

How about posting pics of them, are they sea kayaks...or perhaps old slalom
racing boats? Either way, if they are being trashed anyway, why not
experiment? From a face value POV, I would keep the ends intact as not to
drastically change the handling characteristics (although any alteration
will do this to some degree) and remove the volume from the middle say just
in front of and just behind the cockpit? Keep it symetrical.

ups.com...

[email protected] August 15th 06 05:06 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of cutting them that way!

That might be an easier way of going about it. I'll have another look
at them with that in mind!

As for kayak type, one has Kiwi (Perception?) and Slalom on it so I'd
guess it is an old slalom one as you suggested. The other one is
unmarked.

As you say, I've little to lose by experimenting!

Cheers,

Nick

Andrew August 15th 06 05:11 PM

Shortening a kayak?

With the volume in mind, remember that the 180L modern playboats are
very different boats from what you are looking for. They have a flat
bottom, they are very hard to paddle straight (without experience), and
the ends can dive underwater.

That being said, 360L would be fine (I think). An older whitewater
kayak certainly had less volume and never had any buoyancy issues.

I think I remember reading somewhere about someone doing what Grip has
suggested. He cut a foot or two from the middle of his kayak (or
canoe). I'll try and find it.

Andrew August 15th 06 05:22 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Have a look at the pictures on these websites and see if your kayak has
a similar design:

http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/
http://www.jacksonkayak.com/kayaks06/ricochet.cfm

Michael Daly August 15th 06 06:09 PM

Shortening a kayak?

wrote:

Given our lack of storage space, I am considering shortening them.

Sell them and buy the kayaks you want. I modify kayaks all the time, but
shortening the hull is just a waste of time and money.

Mike

[email protected] August 16th 06 09:15 AM

Shortening a kayak?

Thanks for the input!

The kayaks are not too different to the ones on the webpages.

They are old though, perhaps 20 years? They came from a local army
cadet unit, so have probably had a hard life!

I'm not trying to create a playboat, just make something more
manageable for our circumstances. Our local river is an old navigation
and as such is not cleared and has many tight spots (fallen branches
and overhanging trees) where a long kayak could get stuck. Plus I enjoy
breathing new life into old things!

Whatever I do with them, they'll need some TLC. I'll continue to
think about it!

If it's generally believed to be a complete waste of time, I'll fix
them up and get rid. Any more information will be appreciated!

Cheers,

Nick

Brian Nystrom August 16th 06 12:40 PM

Shortening a kayak?

wrote:
Thanks for the input!

The kayaks are not too different to the ones on the webpages.

They are old though, perhaps 20 years? They came from a local army
cadet unit, so have probably had a hard life!

I'm not trying to create a playboat, just make something more
manageable for our circumstances. Our local river is an old navigation
and as such is not cleared and has many tight spots (fallen branches
and overhanging trees) where a long kayak could get stuck. Plus I enjoy
breathing new life into old things!

Whatever I do with them, they'll need some TLC. I'll continue to
think about it!

If it's generally believed to be a complete waste of time, I'll fix
them up and get rid. Any more information will be appreciated!

Cheers,

Nick

I have to agree with Michael. Shortening a kayak is simply not
practical. Bobbing the stem and stern won't work unless the boats have
long overhangs that could be shortened. Cutting a chunk out of the
center and re-joining the resulting pieces probably won't work since the
boats are not likely to have the same hull shape forward and aft of the
cockpit. It's simply not worth the effort as you'll just end up
destroying the boats. The time and money you waste on this project could
be better spent elsewhere. You would be better off to sell the boats or
give them away and buy what you need.

Marsh Jones August 16th 06 11:03 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Michael Daly wrote:
wrote:

Given our lack of storage space, I am considering shortening them.

Sell them and buy the kayaks you want. I modify kayaks all the time,
but shortening the hull is just a waste of time and money.

Mike

Agreed as well. Assuming you get the right materials to effect the
repairs, there will still potentially be weaker spots and definitely
make a heavier (and probably quite ugly) boat.
Spiff them up, toss a coat of gelgloss on them, and sell them. Then buy
boats you can store and are usable as they were built.

Marsh

Wm Watt August 17th 06 03:27 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Cutting a piece out of the middle of the hull should be no great
challenge. Just be careful to choose the locations of the joined halves
that they match exaclty. Then sand off the inner surface around the cut
and apply a couple of layers of fibreglass soaked in resin through the
cockpit. Boat builders call it a "butt" join. I've used it in plywood
boats. While the boat is in pieces it should be easy to prepare the
inside, move the foot braces, etc.

The challenge would come in enlarging the cockpit. I don't see how you
can cut a piece out of the middle of a kayak without effecting the
cockpit, and they tend to have moulded coamings to keep out the water
and to allow a spray skirt to be tied on. Before cutting I'd want to
figure out what to do about the cockpit.

Brian Nystrom August 17th 06 08:54 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Wm Watt wrote:
Cutting a piece out of the middle of the hull should be no great
challenge. Just be careful to choose the locations of the joined halves
that they match exaclty.

How many boats have you seen that have the exact same hull profile
forward and aft of the centerline? Not many are designed that way.

Then sand off the inner surface around the cut
and apply a couple of layers of fibreglass soaked in resin through the
cockpit. Boat builders call it a "butt" join. I've used it in plywood
boats. While the boat is in pieces it should be easy to prepare the
inside, move the foot braces, etc.

That wouldn't be anywhere near strong enough. To do it right, you need
the inner glass, but you also need to feather the joint back a couple of
inches on the outside, lay in new glass to build the joint up to the
original thickness, then apply new gelcoat.

The challenge would come in enlarging the cockpit. I don't see how you
can cut a piece out of the middle of a kayak without effecting the
cockpit, and they tend to have moulded coamings to keep out the water
and to allow a spray skirt to be tied on. Before cutting I'd want to
figure out what to do about the cockpit.

The only feasible thing to do would be to remove the coaming first, then
enlarge the cockpit opening to the proper size after the boat is
shortened. If the cockpit is recessed or the shape of the deck changes
significantly, it will take a LOT of work to reinstall the coaming.

The bottom line is that this project simply isn't practical.

[email protected] August 18th 06 01:43 PM

Shortening a kayak?

This idea of cutting a Kayak to size seems a bit dumb. Why don't you
just build a bigger storage space? Or if you want to work on a kayak
buy a stitch and glue kit for a smaller Yak. But if you insist on
cutting the kayak. Perhaps put in a 2 sturdy bulkheads about a 1 mm (or
less) apart and cut between them creating two water tight sections that
you can reconnect by butting the bulkheads together and bolting them
firmly in place. You might even want to have 3 reattach-able sections
stern cockpit and bow.

[email protected] August 18th 06 03:59 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

I'll let you know what happens!

Regards,

Nick

Wm Watt August 18th 06 07:03 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Brian Nystrom wrote:

How many boats have you seen that have the exact same hull profile
forward and aft of the centerline? Not many are designed that way.

"Exact same profile" not required, just at a single point. How many do
you want? These are 20 year old craft. The model names have been posted
so you are welcome to look them up and let us know. Not many are
designed symetrical fore-and-aft today but at one time all canoes and
kayaks were symetrical. The many ways designers use to keep selling
more boats is a topic for another discussion.

Say they are not symetrical. Then the front section can be inserted
into the rear section and locating the cutting lines is not as
critical. Asymetrical would be easier.

That wouldn't be anywhere near strong enough. To do it right, you need
the inner glass, but you also need to feather the joint back a couple of
inches on the outside, lay in new glass to build the joint up to the
original thickness, then apply new gelcoat.

It may or may not be strong enough in a patch or a scarphed panel but
this is a tube. Any tension on one side is compensated by equal tension
on the other. Just sand off the inside surface, position the two
halves, cellotape around the outside to keep the resin from oozing out,
and glasstape the inside. No need to do any fancy finish work to the
outside. One does need, however to cut the hull carefully so the two
pieces fit.
People have reported using single sided taped butt joins on plywood
boats to avoid the problem of finishing the outside surface. Apparently
it does actually work there.

The bottom line is that this project simply isn't practical.

Where does practicallity enter into the hobby of paddling or
boatbuilding?
Giving up a day's pay to drive 200 miles to paddle down a river is
practical?
My own boatbulding is motivated as much by curiosity as practicality.
Can it be done?
Some don't like to spend money but time is no problem.

Michael Daly August 18th 06 07:53 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Wm Watt wrote:

at one time all canoes and kayaks were symetrical.

Care to back that up with something resembling a fact.

It may or may not be strong enough in a patch or a scarphed panel but
this is a tube. Any tension on one side is compensated by equal tension
on the other.

You really don't understand what a hull does in the real world. Tension has to
be balanced by compression. Local loads have to be accommodated, not just
overall bending moments.

Mike

Hanta-Yo-Yo August 18th 06 08:48 PM

Shortening a kayak?

wrote:
[...]

I may have missed it, but by how much are you needing to shorten these
boats?

From what you have written, you are looking to end up with something to

go swamping in, and they don't need to be particularly pretty. Also
does not sound like you are doing any wild water, just need something
highly manueverable to negotiate the backwater?

You might just clip the ends back to the desired length, and then glass
over the opening to be water proof. That way, the load handling central
structure will not be compromised, as well as the rocker that is needed
to turn easily. Also you will not have to mess with the combing if you
plan to use a spray skirt.

The sharp pointy ends are not needed really as demostrated in the newer
generation of playboats and creekers. You are not looking to achive
great speed characteristics, and depending on how good you are at the
glass work, will tell how the finished product will be.

You could always mount some sort of maiden form on the bow to scare off
the swamp gods, or maybe attract a mermaid! HYY

!Jones August 18th 06 09:27 PM

Shortening a kayak?

On 15 Aug 2006 02:50:18 -0700, in rec.boats.paddle
wrote:

I am considering shortening them.

Has anyone done this before?

I had one on a trailer and backed it into a trellis, once.

That probably doesn't count, though.

Jones

Brian Nystrom August 21st 06 01:28 PM

Shortening a kayak?

wrote:
This idea of cutting a Kayak to size seems a bit dumb. Why don't you
just build a bigger storage space? Or if you want to work on a kayak
buy a stitch and glue kit for a smaller Yak. But if you insist on
cutting the kayak. Perhaps put in a 2 sturdy bulkheads about a 1 mm (or
less) apart and cut between them creating two water tight sections that
you can reconnect by butting the bulkheads together and bolting them
firmly in place. You might even want to have 3 reattach-able sections
stern cockpit and bow.

Converting these to multi-piece kayaks is the only sensible solution
other than getting rid of them and buying appropriate boats.

Brian Nystrom August 21st 06 01:36 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Wm Watt wrote:
Brian Nystrom wrote:

How many boats have you seen that have the exact same hull profile
forward and aft of the centerline? Not many are designed that way.

"Exact same profile" not required, just at a single point. How many do
you want? These are 20 year old craft. The model names have been posted
so you are welcome to look them up and let us know. Not many are
designed symetrical fore-and-aft today but at one time all canoes and
kayaks were symetrical. The many ways designers use to keep selling
more boats is a topic for another discussion.

What some people have done as far as design is irrelevent. More than
likely, these boats are not symmetrical.

Say they are not symetrical. Then the front section can be inserted
into the rear section and locating the cutting lines is not as
critical. Asymetrical would be easier.

Are you kidding me? It's also quite likely that the ends are different
enough that one will not fit into the other. For that to work, the fore
and aft decks would have to be the same height, which is not common at all.

[...]

It only works because the boats are fully glassed inside and out after
the panels are stitched. Perhaps some designs substitute fillets and
tape on the seams for inside glass, but either way, the boat is
substantially reinforced. I've never heard of a kayak kit or plan set
that uses/recommends but joints without exterior glass and some interior
reinforcement.

The bottom line is that this project simply isn't practical.

Where does practicallity enter into the hobby of paddling or
boatbuilding?

There's got to be a line somewhere. Perhaps others think this is a good
idea, but I don't.

Giving up a day's pay to drive 200 miles to paddle down a river is
practical?

I wouldn't do it.

My own boatbulding is motivated as much by curiosity as practicality.
Can it be done?

Maybe you should offer to shorten these boats for the OP, just to see if
it can be done.

Some don't like to spend money but time is no problem.

Knock yourself out, then!

Wm Watt August 21st 06 04:06 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Michael Daly wrote:
Wm Watt wrote:

at one time all canoes and kayaks were symetrical.

Care to back that up with something resembling a fact.

Moreover, at one time all river kayaks were not only symetrical but
were a standard 13 feet long. It wasn't until computer programs became
available that all the different shapes appeared.

It may or may not be strong enough in a patch or a scarphed panel but
this is a tube. Any tension on one side is compensated by equal tension
on the other.

You really don't understand what a hull does in the real world. Tension has to
be balanced by compression. Local loads have to be accommodated, not just
overall bending moments.

Any tension on one side is compensated by compression on the other.

Mike

Wm Watt August 21st 06 04:20 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Hanta-Yo-Yo wrote:

You might just clip the ends back to the desired length, and then glass
over the opening to be water proof. That way, the load handling central
structure will not be compromised, as well as the rocker that is needed
to turn easily. Also you will not have to mess with the combing if you
plan to use a spray skirt.

The sharp pointy ends are not needed really as demostrated in the newer
generation of playboats and creekers. You are not looking to achive
great speed characteristics, and depending on how good you are at the
glass work, will tell how the finished product will be.

You could always mount some sort of maiden form on the bow to scare off
the swamp gods, or maybe attract a mermaid! HYY

This is the best suggestion so far to take off a foot or so. I'd leave
the bow alone unless more has to be taken off than can com eoff the
stern. Cutting a foot off the back won't noticably effect bouyancy or
stability. I'd put on a plywood transom. It would be easy enough to
hold a piece of plywood against the cuttoff end and trace around with a
pencil to get the shape. Then, if using an electric jig saw, set the
base plate at an angle equal to the taper of the boat when cutting it
out. A square cut transom won't fit the boat as well. The transom can
be glued into the hull reinforced by bocks of wood glued in before or
nails through the hull or both. The inside sruface of the plywood will
have to be painted before it's put on the boat. My grandfather did this
with a cedar strip canoe that had one end damaged. It worked well.

Michael Daly August 21st 06 10:31 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Wm Watt wrote:
Michael Daly wrote:
Wm Watt wrote:

at one time all canoes and kayaks were symetrical.

Care to back that up with something resembling a fact.

Moreover, at one time all river kayaks were not only symetrical but
were a standard 13 feet long. It wasn't until computer programs became
available that all the different shapes appeared.

A look at Charlie Walbridge's old book on whitewater kayak making proves this to
be nothing but bull****. It also doesn't address sea kayaks and recreational
kayaks.

To this day, there are people designing kayaks without computer programs. It
ain't rocket science.

Any tension on one side is compensated by compression on the other.

Glad you sorted that out.

If you only reinforce on one side, as Brian pointed out, you'll get a weak
joint. Hull-to-deck seams on some cheaper sea kayaks are only taped on the
inside and are known to have split. No one I know would trust a one-sided seam
for strength.

Mike

Wm Watt August 22nd 06 08:42 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Michael Daly wrote:

If you only reinforce on one side, as Brian pointed out, you'll get a weak
joint. Hull-to-deck seams on some cheaper sea kayaks are only taped on the
inside and are known to have split. No one I know would trust a one-sided seam
for strength.

Hull to deck seams are not only problems on fibreglass kayaks but also
on fibregalss sailboats of all sizes, even very large, very costly
ones. It's not because they are only taped on the inside. It's design
and workmanship.

I have a couple of open plywood sailboats which get quite a bit more
stress than kayaks do. Sails can pull 75% dieways and only 25%
forwards when going upwind. That putsa lot of twisting stress on the
hull and pulls it over in the water, all too often to the point of
capsize if you don't stay alert. The plywood panels on my boats are
butt blocked with adhesives that are 1/20ht as strong as epoxy (urha
formaldahyse and polyurethane). I've n to had any problems with teh
butt joins even when the plywood has been delainating.

Mike

Wm Watt August 22nd 06 08:56 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Wm Watt wrote:
Michael Daly wrote:

[...]

I got kicked off the computer at the public library at the end of the
time slot. So to continue ...

The hulls on these two plywood boats are less rigid than the hulls on
the kayaks I've paddled (about 20 models so far). I've done fibreglass
repairs after reading one or two books on the subject. In spite of what
you read from promoters of epoxy, polyester repairs can be made stonger
than the origninal hull. The same repairs with epoxy are many times
stronger than necessary. That's why I do not see any strength problem
in cutting through a kayak hull and joining with interior taped butt
joins. For the other reasons we have mentioned in this discussion
(cockpit, reduced stability and bouyancy) it's not a good idea to take
the extra lengthout of the centre of the hull so this part of the
discussion is moot.

Michael Daly August 22nd 06 09:37 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Wm Watt wrote:
Wm Watt wrote:

Hull to deck seams are not only problems on fibreglass kayaks but also
on fibregalss sailboats of all sizes, even very large, very costly
ones. It's not because they are only taped on the inside. It's design
and workmanship.

You don't get it, you never will. I'm a structural engineer and I know bad
designs when I see them. Asymmetric joint construction is not good design.

The hulls on these two plywood boats are less rigid than the hulls on

[...]
stronger than necessary. That's why I do not see any strength problem
in cutting through a kayak hull and joining with interior taped butt
joins.

You do what you want. But don't advise others to do what is widely regarded as
bad design and construction.

Mike

Wm Watt August 25th 06 06:59 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Michael Daly wrote:
You don't get it, you never will. I'm a structural engineer and I know bad
designs when I see them. Asymmetric joint construction is not good design.

Gee, I got an "A" in engineering math at the UofT but note of that is
relevant to the discussion. You've never tried splicing a kayak or any
other boat, have you? What we see here is the triumph of theory over
practice and knowledge over experience.

You do what you want. But don't advise others to do what is widely regarded as
bad design and construction.

That's a piece of advice I'm not about to take.
I've read over 50 boatbulding books, including books on scantlings and
strengths of materials and on boat repair, done a lot of calculations,
used and wrote boatbulidng computer programs, and tried a lot of
different things, some of which did not work out.
Butt joins are nowher condsidered bad desing or construction. Testing
shows teh opposite. People can do their own test. Butt join two panels
and then bend the result until it breaks (deforms in technical lingo).
On plywood panels with epoxy adhesive the plywood breaks before the
butt join. It's stronger than the rest of the hull. People can decide
for themselves who they want to listen to.

I've seen Michael's website which I like. (It's not about boat repair.)
We've disagreed before, because he's been wrong before.

Mike

Michael Daly August 28th 06 02:59 AM

Shortening a kayak?

Wm Watt wrote:
Michael Daly wrote:
You don't get it, you never will. I'm a structural engineer and I know bad
designs when I see them. Asymmetric joint construction is not good design.

Gee, I got an "A" in engineering math at the UofT but note of that is
relevant to the discussion.

There's a lot more to structural engineering than a bit of math. The essence of
structural engineering is stress analysis and proper design within safety limits.

On plywood panels with epoxy adhesive the plywood breaks before the
butt join. It's stronger than the rest of the hull.

Butt joins on fiberglass and butt joins on plywood are not the same thing. The
difference in strength between the base material and the adhesive is
significant. Plywood is thick and weak, fiberglass is thin and strong. Lapping
a tape over one side of a plywood joint is not going to have the same effect as
doing the same with fiberglass.

As I've already pointed out - if single taped butt joints in kayak seams were
sufficiently strong, we wouldn't see so many failures and so many paddlers
condemn the manufacturing technique. If the joint was sufficiently strong, it
wouldn't be so sensitive to labour and quality of construction as you have claimed.

Mike

Wm Watt September 1st 06 08:21 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Michael Daly wrote:

Butt joins on fiberglass and butt joins on plywood are not the same thing. The
difference in strength between the base material and the adhesive is
significant. Plywood is thick and weak, fiberglass is thin and strong. Lapping
a tape over one side of a plywood joint is not going to have the same effect as
doing the same with fiberglass.

Wood is as strong, pound for pound, as steel. Fibreglass versions of
plywood boats weigh more. Plywood is as strong as fibreglass used on
the same boat design. I don't get your point here.

As I've already pointed out - if single taped butt joints in kayak seams were
sufficiently strong, we wouldn't see so many failures and so many paddlers
condemn the manufacturing technique. If the joint was sufficiently strong, it
wouldn't be so sensitive to labour and quality of construction as you have claimed.

I assume you mean single-sided taped butt joins. (I don't know if it's
proper to call them "scarfs".) Single layer slingle-sided taped butt
joins would problably be okay but if I were doing it I'd use
single-sided double-layer joins, 4" glass over 2" glass. It adds so
little in wieght, cost, and effort.

A lot of experiments have been done in single- and double-sided taped
butt joins in plywood with different adhesives and fibres. People have
built with polyester, epoxy, and polyurethane resins, and glass and
polyester fibre, to my knowledge, with satisfactory results. On the
19-year-old fibreglass kayak in question I'd stick with polyester
(epoxy for those who want to spend more money) and glass fibre.

Mike

Michael Daly September 1st 06 09:42 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Wm Watt wrote:

A lot of experiments have been done in single- and double-sided taped
butt joins in plywood with different adhesives and fibres.

And other people have done the same with different results. However, we are
talking about fiberglass boats here, not plywood. When you load a butt joint in
tension, the asymmetric, single-sided joint will fail with a significant flexure
in the joint. If it is symmetric, double sided, it will be in pure tension.
The difference in strength is considerable. The difference in fatigue
performance is considerable.

Single-sided seams along a sheer line will _buckle_ if the hull is subjected to
serious load - I've seen this happen. It buckles because the joint is not
symmetric. Under those conditions, the single sided joint can split - I've seen
this happen too.

Why do you assume that _your_ experiments count for more than the experience
that many others have had with single-taped joints? Good kayaks use a lapped
and double-taped seam. That is much stronger than a butted joint and much, much
stronger than a single sided seam.

Mike

Wm Watt September 5th 06 04:50 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Michael Daly wrote:

[...]

A sheet of paper is also thin enough to fold. Once a tear is repaired
with tape that part is stronger than the rest of the sheet. That's what
you see in a butt join. It's thicker and more rigid than the rest of
the hull. It won't flex. It won't fold. It can take more stress than
the original hull before failing. If the hull's going to fold and fail
it won't be at the butt join.

Longitudinals and butts aren't comparable. Before there was
firbreglass or plywood plank-on-frame hulls would work open along the
seams but not at the butts where the planks were joined end-to-end.
Longitudinals, being long and thin, are weaker.

Butt joins are strong. The reason people scarf plywood and feather
fibreglass is to get sufficient surface for adhesive strength. With
butt joins the whole butt is the adhesive surface. A 2" butt is
stronger than a 1/2" feather. As I wrote, I would probalyhy use a 4"
over 2" butt.

Michael Daly September 5th 06 05:21 PM

Shortening a kayak?

Wm Watt wrote:

A sheet of paper is also thin enough to fold. Once a tear is repaired
with tape that part is stronger than the rest of the sheet. That's what
you see in a butt join. It's thicker and more rigid than the rest of
the hull. It won't flex. It won't fold. It can take more stress than
the original hull before failing. If the hull's going to fold and fail
it won't be at the butt join.

Maybe you should spend a few years learning about stress analysis before making
such ludicrous analogies. You haven't got a clue what's happening in a real
structure.

Mike

Wm Watt September 7th 06 12:52 AM

Shortening a kayak?

Michael Daly wrote:
Wm Watt wrote:

A sheet of paper is also thin enough to fold. Once a tear is repaired
with tape that part is stronger than the rest of the sheet. That's what
you see in a butt join. It's thicker and more rigid than the rest of
the hull. It won't flex. It won't fold. It can take more stress than
the original hull before failing. If the hull's going to fold and fail
it won't be at the butt join.

Maybe you should spend a few years learning about stress analysis before making
such ludicrous analogies. You haven't got a clue what's happening in a real
structure.

Mike

Short of desinging, building, repairing paddling, and sailing in "real
structure"s.
You'd have to come up with something more subtantial than theory and
hearsay to offer worthwhile advice. In a word, take your own advice
above substituting "real structures" for "stress analysis".

Michael Daly September 7th 06 06:01 AM

Shortening a kayak?

Wm Watt wrote:

You'd have to come up with something more subtantial than theory and
hearsay to offer worthwhile advice.

Theory is based on and validated by testing.

In a word, take your own advice
above substituting "real structures" for "stress analysis".

In my case, real structures include ice breakers (finite element analysis of the
USCG Polar Star when it was instrumented for ice forces on an arctic trip in
1981), offshore oil structures in the Beaufort Sea, aircraft (Canadair
Challenger (now Bombardier)) some buildings and lots of other things.

Your experience is playing in puddles with boats that never get tested.

Since you don't even know that a structure without a straight load path _must_
bend, then you don't know anything that justifies your claims to expertise.

Mike