Default 1987 Fourwinns questions

I have a 1987 fourwinns I/O merc cruiser. I'm having problems
starting the boat. I have replaced the battery. When I try the key
all that happens is I heard a small click form the engine. I check my
battery connection and my fuses (none where blown), but if I keep
trying checjking all connections it will eventually start. Is this a a
loose fuse problem or starter?

Drew

Thanks, keep boating

There usually one or more solenoids involved in starting circuits.
Clicking suggest that at least one of those is getting power. You need
to multimeter and a helper. Start at the starter and check back. On
chevys there is usually a small wire at the starter than pulls the
solenoid. There may be a second solenoid further upstream form that.
Or if it's a ford the solenoid may be separate from the starter. A
service manual with a wiring diagram would help. Onething that is
common on older boats is bad connections due to corrosion. You can't
look at a connection and tell if it is bad or not. You have to take it
apart and wire brush it to make sure it is connecting well.

Drew wrote:
I have a 1987 fourwinns I/O merc cruiser. I'm having problems
starting the boat. I have replaced the battery. When I try the key
all that happens is I heard a small click form the engine. I check my
battery connection and my fuses (none where blown), but if I keep
trying checjking all connections it will eventually start. Is this a a
loose fuse problem or starter?

Drew

Thanks, keep boating

Start with cleaning battery terminals and cables of corrosion.

"Drew" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a 1987 fourwinns I/O merc cruiser. I'm having problems
starting the boat. I have replaced the battery. When I try the key
all that happens is I heard a small click form the engine. I check my
battery connection and my fuses (none where blown), but if I keep
trying checjking all connections it will eventually start. Is this a
loose fuse problem or starter?

Drew

Thanks, keep boating

FS: 1987 "Comeback: My Race For The America's Cup" Book in Ontario J.R. Sinclair Marketplace 0 July 13th 06 10:55 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 14 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Don't ask questions on boats - the Feds are watching! [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 04:10 AM
Lots of questions :) GC General 7 September 16th 04 05:45 AM
Newbie questions Tony Kenny UK Power Boats 7 January 12th 04 08:44 PM