BoatBanter.com

-   -   Service for 10+ Year Old Boats (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/72361-service-10-year-old-boats.html)

[email protected] August 1st 06 06:45 PM

Service for 10+ Year Old Boats

I have heard that dealerships in the Southeastern Mass. area are
refusing work on boats over ten years old. Anyone have information as
to why? Is this practice common elsewhere?

Jim August 1st 06 06:58 PM

Service for 10+ Year Old Boats

It's common at 3A Marine.

ups.com...

jamesgangnc August 1st 06 07:14 PM

Service for 10+ Year Old Boats

Sometimes fixing something on an older boat also involves breaking
something else. As boats age the number of things waiting to break
starts to climb. You break things just taking them off to fix the
original problem. Or shortly after you work on the boat something
unrelated just breaks. The boat owners want to blame you for the
additional problems because you were the last one working on it. You
know; "I took it in to have the alternator replaced and two weeks later
the exhaust risers are clogged." Well sure getting the 14 year old
rusted on alternator might have required some banging. And the scale
on the exhaust risers that have also been in salt water for 14 years
was just waiting for an excuse to drop off by the pound. Some marinas
figure it just ain't worth it. On newer boats what breaks is usually
one thing and isn't surrounded by other stuff that just about to break.

Tim August 1st 06 07:18 PM

Service for 10+ Year Old Boats

Could be.
Not that they can't, they just won't. Not enough money in it. I mean.
if a guy has a nice late model run about or cuddy, he's going to want
to fix it. if it's an older tub, and will require a lot of engine
work. The bill can be high, and then the guy decides he doesn't want to
pay for it because it's supposedly not worth it, or he wants to skimp
to "get by" .

So the marina gets stuck with a boat thats got a lot of money stuck
into it, but still it's a used 10+ yyr. old boat. and they have sa
difficult time selling it for what they have in to it, not o****ing
storage, and legal work to secure a mechanics lean on it.

just my views.

Tim August 1st 06 08:38 PM

Service for 10+ Year Old Boats

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
Plus, shop labor is getting out-of-sight ($110/hr around
here) ..."

Wow!

I'm in the wrong business!

CptDondo August 1st 06 08:58 PM

Tim wrote:
Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
Plus, shop labor is getting out-of-sight ($110/hr around
here) ..."

Wow!

I'm in the wrong business!

Think again.... I used to own a small business; I did an analysis for
our local city council when they contemplated sticking businesses with
another impact fee that some 54% of our gross went to license fees,
local, state, and federal taxes, social security taxes, mandatory
insurance (workman's comp and others as required by state and other
regulations), professional fees (required to keep our doors open),
impact fees, and so on. Take another 30% out of what's left for
overhead (rent, utilities, and so on) and what you have left is about
$18/hr to pay both you and the mechanic with.....

Don't blame the end guy for what you pay.

Tim August 1st 06 09:05 PM

Service for 10+ Year Old Boats

Oh, I'm aware of the Cost of doing business (C.O.B... like taking it
right in the shorts!)
But I'm self employed with little overhead, and its just me, myself,
and I. :)

CptDondo August 1st 06 09:34 PM

Tim wrote:
Oh, I'm aware of the Cost of doing business (C.O.B... like taking it
right in the shorts!)
But I'm self employed with little overhead, and its just me, myself,
and I. :)

Lucky you... I sold my business and now I'm a wage slave.... :-)

--Yan