BoatBanter.com

-   -   Johnson Colt 2HP No Start Problem Returns (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/71575-johnson-colt-2hp-no-start-problem-returns.html)

frank1492 July 11th 06 01:11 AM

Johnson Colt 2HP No Start Problem Returns

Anybody want to take a crack at this again? Everything that I know how
to check has been checked. The carburetor was disassembled and
reassembled and the engine started on the first pull. It restarted
numerous times during the day. The next morning, it wouldn't start
again.
It seems that something happens (maybe to the float level?) when
the engine sits.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks .
Frank

Ron Knapik July 11th 06 03:18 AM

Johnson Colt 2HP No Start Problem Returns

When it does not start, try checking the ignition with a spark checker. It
should jump a 3/8 inch air gap. If not, you have an electrical issue, if it
does, then you have a fuel issue.

May also want to check compression. I take it the fuel is fresh fuel?????

Ron

frank1492 July 11th 06 01:40 PM

Johnson Colt 2HP No Start Problem Returns

Hi Ron-
I have done the usual spark tests, checking plug wire to ground
and examining spark on plug (new plug BTW). When it wouldn't start
I have done this several times and found the spark OK by these tests.
But what is a "spark checker?" The fuel is fresh. Compression seems
fine.
Remember we have an engine that runs fine when it runs....perfect
in every way. I will do some things and it will surely run again, but
it is never obvious what I do. Then I will leave it for a day and it
won't run again,
An example of what drives me nuts: I removed the plug, checked
the spark, squirted ether into the cylinder, put the plug back,still
wouldn't start!!!!!!!!!
Frank

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 02:18:48 GMT, "Ron Knapik"
wrote:

When it does not start, try checking the ignition with a spark checker. It
should jump a 3/8 inch air gap. If not, you have an electrical issue, if it
does, then you have a fuel issue.

May also want to check compression. I take it the fuel is fresh fuel?????

Ron

.. .