BoatBanter.com

-   -   1983 Evinrude 115 only goes 15mph (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/71517-1983-evinrude-115-only-goes-15mph.html)

bobinderby July 9th 06 05:01 PM

1983 Evinrude 115 only goes 15mph

My 115 starts fine, runs well. But after about half throttle I don't
get any more speed. Has new fuel pump and filter. Used to go mid
30's. Any suggestions?

seeray28\(steve\) July 10th 06 04:06 AM

1983 Evinrude 115 only goes 15mph

Check your lower unit oil. if you are getting ALOT of metalic shavings in
the oil you have a bearing that is going out. I forgot the name of the
bearing but.....Johnson/evinrude lower units have a bearing at the bottom of
the output shaft that if it goes bad it will do just what you describe. Get
a service manual and read up on how to replace the bearing .

oups.com...