BoatBanter.com

-   -   My favorite lake claimed another one.... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/70946-my-favorite-lake-claimed-another-one.html)

[email protected] June 21st 06 08:02 PM

My favorite lake claimed another one....

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=98804

Seems like Carlyle Lake claimes at least 2 or three people per year.

Even thought this happened this past weekend, I just heard about it
today.

I don't know what happened, and my old dial-up won't download the
video.

But it seems that usually these things happen because somebody doesn't
wear a life vest.

I'm a good swimmer, but I don't go boating without wearing at least a
floatation vest,and nobody gets in our boat without wearing one either.

Jack Redington June 21st 06 11:12 PM

wrote:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=98804

Seems like Carlyle Lake claimes at least 2 or three people per year.

Even thought this happened this past weekend, I just heard about it
today.

I don't know what happened, and my old dial-up won't download the
video.

But it seems that usually these things happen because somebody doesn't
wear a life vest.

I'm a good swimmer, but I don't go boating without wearing at least a
floatation vest,and nobody gets in our boat without wearing one either.

Always sad to hear news like this. It's been a long long time since I
have been on Carlyle. I seem to recall it has a lot of shallow areas on
it and can be rather trickey. I could be wrong, seems like it's been 30+
years since I was there. (I was just a kid)

Capt Jack R..

[email protected] June 22nd 06 12:14 AM

Jack Redington wrote:
wrote:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...?storyid=98804

Seems like Carlyle Lake claimes at least 2 or three people per year.

Even thought this happened this past weekend, I just heard about it
today.

I don't know what happened, and my old dial-up won't download the
video.

But it seems that usually these things happen because somebody doesn't
wear a life vest.

I'm a good swimmer, but I don't go boating without wearing at least a
floatation vest,and nobody gets in our boat without wearing one either.

Always sad to hear news like this. It's been a long long time since I
have been on Carlyle. I seem to recall it has a lot of shallow areas on
it and can be rather trickey. I could be wrong, seems like it's been 30+
years since I was there. (I was just a kid)

Capt Jack R..

Jack, there are some shallow spots, and it doesn't take very long to
find them if you havent been on the lake much. however it can be
rather deep in places. When you learn where to go and what to avoid,
it's rather nice. But on a mildly breezy day it can really swell, and
even white cap sometimes.

Do you live in the St. Louis or S. Illinois area, by chance? My
neighbor has a half brother that lives in the Troy IL. area.

just curious.