BoatBanter.com

-   -   overheating alarm on honda outboard (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/70143-overheating-alarm-honda-outboard.html)

louis May 29th 06 07:31 PM

overheating alarm on honda outboard

i have a '98 honda 50 hp 4-stoke outboard and the overheat alarm is
activating. the over heat indicator light is NOT on, oil light is
green, oil level is normal. if i turn it off the motor for a while
then restart it it's fine but within few mintues the alarm will
activate again. i'm guessing it's the overheat sensor working
correctly(?).

here's the strange part. once the alarm is activated, if i tilt the
motor all the way down the alarm goes off immediately, but if i tilt it
ever so slightly, up the alarm will go back on. does anyone else have
this problem? i'm planning to bring it to the mechanics and have it
fixed before i go back out but if anyone knows simple things i should
check first please let me know. thanks.

louis May 30th 06 09:17 PM

overheating alarm on honda outboard

anyone? are these outboards that reliable? i must be stuck with a
lemon.

Adrian June 24th 06 10:07 AM

overheating alarm on honda outboard

Louis,

Probably the same problem I am having on a 115HP. I get an engine
warning light on the dash as well but as you say the other lights are
green on the console. I am taking the engine into the engineer today so
will tell you what he comes up with. It's annoying apart from anything
else and the turn ignition off and on again solution is not the best is
it...

Adrian