BoatBanter.com

-   -   Wow! I'm more popular than I thought.... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/69859-wow-im-more-popular-than-i-thought.html)

Tim May 19th 06 10:11 PM

Wow! I'm more popular than I thought....

I went to the mail box today and got five (5!) credit card applications
in the mail. Last week I recieved three (3!). Last month I recieved
at least another five (5!) Citibank, Mastercard, Visa. They keep
sending them to me for some reason. Since my first wife showed me what
plastic money was made for I haven't had a credit card in almost 30
years, and have lived well enough without one, and really don't plan on
getting one. I would think that the CC companies would take the hint
and quit sending them, but eh...thats ok, I usually put their stuff
back in the post paid envelope enclosed and send it back to them. After
all, they may as well get rid of their own junk mail instead of me.

But every once in a while I'll pull the "sample" cards, and give them
to my nephew, who likes to cut them up and use them for guitar picks.
He likes them because of the raised lettering,. He says he can grip
them better than a standard pick. I wouldn't know because I'm a bass
player and play finger-style only.

I'm simply humored by whats in the mailbox daily.....

I hope the weather is good tomorrow, cause I'm putting the boat on the
muffs and cleaning it tonight....

Don White May 19th 06 10:45 PM

Wow! I'm more popular than I thought....

Tim wrote:
snip...

Since my first wife showed me what plastic money was made for I
haven't had a credit card in
almost 30 years, and have lived well enough without one, and really
don't plan on
getting one. I would think that the CC companies would take the hint
and quit sending them, but eh...thats ok,

snip...

How do you book a hotel room or rent a car? If you travel at all,
you're forced to have one these days.

Tim May 20th 06 12:17 AM

Wow! I'm more popular than I thought....

Don White wrote:
Tim wrote:
snip...

Since my first wife showed me what plastic money was made for I
haven't had a credit card in
almost 30 years, and have lived well enough without one, and really
don't plan on
getting one. I would think that the CC companies would take the hint
and quit sending them, but eh...thats ok,

snip...

How do you book a hotel room or rent a car? If you travel at all,
you're forced to have one these days.

Actually, my wife (present) DOES ahve a credit card in her name, But I
don't have much need to use it. If I d travel which isn't really often,
I haven't had a problem booking a room
with simply paying cash and showing my drivers license.

Dan J.S. May 20th 06 06:14 PM

Wow! I'm more popular than I thought....

"Tim" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I am reverse of you. I dont even know what cash feels like, since I use
credit cards to pay for everything. This gives me many advantages, free gas,
free travel, upgraded hotel rooms, etc. The key is to pay the off each
month.

JohnH May 20th 06 09:44 PM

Wow! I'm more popular than I thought....

On Sat, 20 May 2006 12:14:04 -0500, "Dan J.S." wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I even buy all my food with the Visa. I'm getting a 1.5% rebate every
month, which isn't great, but it's free money!
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

Dan J.S. May 20th 06 09:51 PM

"JohnH" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 May 2006 12:14:04 -0500, "Dan J.S." wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

exactly.. i have also started buying all my company's IT purchases on my
credit card. Over $500,000 a year. Nice return, even at 1%.

Dan Krueger May 20th 06 11:12 PM

Dan J.S. wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message

On Sat, 20 May 2006 12:14:04 -0500, "Dan J.S." wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Do you own the company? $500K is a lot for a non-owner to spend on his
personal credit card. I spend roughly $350K, but it's my company. I
take the air miles. I have almost a million with United alone.

Dan

JimH May 20th 06 11:15 PM

Wow! I'm more popular than I thought....

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
k.net...
Dan J.S. wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message

On Sat, 20 May 2006 12:14:04 -0500, "Dan J.S." wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

There are brokers who will pay you for your miles. We took a vacation to
Sanibel, Florida paid for entirely by excess airline miles I cashed in.

Dan Krueger May 21st 06 12:40 AM

Dan J.S. wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message

On Sat, 20 May 2006 12:14:04 -0500, "Dan J.S." wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
legroups.com...

[...]

How do you transfer them? I have roughly two million with just three
airlines - about half are United. Got a link?

BTW - I did use around 200,000 miles last year for the United auctions.
I was able to get gifts for some larger customers. One was the
opportunity to drive a real Nascar car on a track at high speeds. Two
others were dinners for a week prepared by a chef in their own home.
Cool stuff. As it turned out, the company United uses is:

http://www.signaturedays.com/signatu...isc/index.aspx

Thanks,
Dan

JimH May 21st 06 05:48 AM

Wow! I'm more popular than I thought....

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...
JimH wrote:

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
k.net...

Dan J.S. wrote:

"JohnH" wrote in message
m...

On Sat, 20 May 2006 12:14:04 -0500, "Dan J.S."
wrote:

"Tim" wrote in message
glegroups.com...

[...]

How do you transfer them?

Via written contract.

I have roughly two million with just three airlines - about half are
United. Got a link?

The guy was out of Denver. We sold at maybe $.02/mile. I will see if I
still have his card, but this was probably 10 years ago.

Here are some current links:

http://www.airline-awards.com/

http://www.ffdepot.com/

http://www.mrmileage.com/

http://www.awardtraveler.com/sell.asp

http://www.sellyourpoints.com/

Google "sell airline miles" and you will find more. ;-)