BoatBanter.com

-   -   Mercruiser Quadraflush Carb Q (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/69825-mercruiser-quadraflush-carb-q.html)

JR North May 18th 06 11:41 PM

Mercruiser Quadraflush Carb Q

Git'n ****ed.
Fired up Cruis'n Rulz! first time this year. Ran fine for about 1 min,
then gas started coming out the float bowl vent on the Rochester
Quadraflush 4M. Rats! Float sunk, I thought. Pulled the carb top. The
float was the foam type, and felt heavy. Cool.
Pulled the carb and went through it. Replaced the float with a brass
type. Set it up, and installed. Ran good for a minute, and as before,
gas started coming out the vent. I thought MAYBE I flubbed the float
setting, so took the top off and rechecked. OK.
So...
Possibly have a bad new needle and seat, But I'm thinking more like
fuel pressure problem now. Does the Mercruiser mechanical FP have a
pressure reg built in? Do they stick sometimes?
Getting tired of pulling the carb top....
JR
\

basskisser May 19th 06 01:28 PM

JR North wrote:
[...]

I don't know anything about Mercruiser specifically, but MOST (not all,
for the pig pilers!) mechanical fuel pumps on cars are not adjustable,
they are just made to pump 5 or 6 p.s.i. sometimes more (again, not all
for the pig pilers). There are exceptions, like Edlebrock makes high
performance mechanical fuel pumps that are adjustable, used mainly on
racing applications. Like you, I could see a needle/seat being bad and
causing it to run rich or something, but to overflow that much seems to
indicate something else.

LD May 20th 06 12:27 AM

Mercruiser Quadraflush Carb Q

Did you check the filter (where the line enters the carb at the front)? On
my Blazer the seal broke and so much crud came in to the float bowl I had to
drain and vacuum. The trash continually jammed the float needle/seat and
caused the same symptom you're describing.
LD