BoatBanter.com

-   -   Jet outboard size for an 18' Lowe Jon Boat with tunnel and jet Yamaha (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/69645-jet-outboard-size-18-lowe-jon-boat-tunnel-jet-yamaha.html)

[email protected] May 12th 06 09:59 PM

Jet outboard size for an 18' Lowe Jon Boat with tunnel and jet Yamaha

I am thiniking about buying a Lowe 1860vt tunnel jon boat. Boat weight
is listed at 570 lbs.

I am receiving different dealer recommendations on Yamaha 4 cyl jet
engine size. One says a minimum of 90 HP (60 usable) and another says
60 HP (40 usable) is fine. The one recommending the 90 HP says that it
will take forever to get on plane.

Can you help me?

Doug

JohnH May 12th 06 10:07 PM

On 12 May 2006 13:59:03 -0700, wrote:

I am thiniking about buying a Lowe 1860vt tunnel jon boat. Boat weight
is listed at 570 lbs.

I am receiving different dealer recommendations on Yamaha 4 cyl jet
engine size. One says a minimum of 90 HP (60 usable) and another says
60 HP (40 usable) is fine. The one recommending the 90 HP says that it
will take forever to get on plane.

Can you help me?

Doug

What's the maximum size allowed for the boat?
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

[email protected] May 13th 06 02:25 AM

Jet outboard size for an 18' Lowe Jon Boat with tunnel and jet Yamaha

90 for console steering
50 for tiller

I would like to go tiller

-rick- May 13th 06 08:30 AM

wrote:
I am thiniking about buying a Lowe 1860vt tunnel jon boat. Boat weight
is listed at 570 lbs.

I am receiving different dealer recommendations on Yamaha 4 cyl jet
engine size. One says a minimum of 90 HP (60 usable) and another says
60 HP (40 usable) is fine. The one recommending the 90 HP says that it
will take forever to get on plane.

Can you help me?

I had a 16' Alumaweld flat bottom sled with a tired old 85hp
Merc and jet pump. It was ok with a light load but marginal
with more. When that motor died I got a '98 115hp Merc 2
stroke. That was plenty and I never regretted having a bit
more than enough power.

[email protected] May 13th 06 08:48 PM

Jet outboard size for an 18' Lowe Jon Boat with tunnel and jet Yamaha

Thanks for the reply.

I intend to use the boat primarily for Steelhead river fishing in
Michigan. I know they are inefficient, noisy etc. but they are great
for this application.

Doug

-rick- May 14th 06 09:59 AM

wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I intend to use the boat primarily for Steelhead river fishing in
Michigan. I know they are inefficient, noisy etc. but they are great
for this application.

Doug

And steelhead are worth the effort!