BoatBanter.com

-   -   Mercury 18 & 25HP outboard (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/69527-mercury-18-25hp-outboard.html)

[email protected] May 9th 06 01:53 PM

Mercury 18 & 25HP outboard

Hi folks:

I was told that the only difference between a 1982 model year Mercury
18 and 25 HP outboard motor is that the carburator was larger in the 25
HP model. Is that true? Thanks!

Clark

Doug Kanter May 9th 06 04:04 PM

Mercury 18 & 25HP outboard

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi folks:

I was told that the only difference between a 1982 model year Mercury
18 and 25 HP outboard motor is that the carburator was larger in the 25
HP model. Is that true? Thanks!

Clark

It may well be true. My dealer told me the same thing about the Johnson 9.9
and 15 hp models, for the model year I own, 1996.

D-unit May 9th 06 08:37 PM

Mercury 18 & 25HP outboard

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi folks:

I was told that the only difference between a 1982 model year Mercury
18 and 25 HP outboard motor is that the carburator was larger in the 25
HP model. Is that true? Thanks!

Clark

It may well be true. My dealer told me the same thing about the Johnson

9.9
and 15 hp models, for the model year I own, 1996.

Such is not unusual in the annals of outboard manufacturing.

The four in line Merc 115 and 125 were virtually identical. If memory
serves, only the carb jets and reeds were mechanically different.

Same thing with the 2 stroke Merc 75 and 90hp. Only the carb is
different.

db

Bill Kiene May 10th 06 07:41 AM

Mercury 18 & 25HP outboard

This has been very common, even today.

Lots of motors come in 2 or even 3 different HP ratings on the same
'platform'.

It is very easy to check with all the specs on the Internet now.

They will have the same weight and the same displacement.

The size of the carburetor and other parts will give them more or less HP.

This is to save money so they don't have to build a separate "platform" for
each HP rating.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop