BoatBanter.com

-   -   AIS system and Furuno Radar (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/68133-ais-system-furuno-radar.html)

[email protected] March 30th 06 09:45 PM

AIS system and Furuno Radar

Has anyone ever hooked up an AIS AI80 TO A FURUNO FP 2110 radar? Any
suggestion s would be great.

Thanks

Chris

[email protected] March 30th 06 10:04 PM

AIS system and Furuno Radar

wrote:
Has anyone ever hooked up an AIS AI80 TO A FURUNO FP 2110 radar? Any
suggestion s would be great.

Thanks

Chris

Is that a Furuno component? The only AIS I've personally been exposed
to is designed for PC navigation (Nobeltec), but I know there are other
units either available or just now coming to market. There's no reason
for it to be any more proprietary than GPS, obviously.

Is the FP 2110 a radar/gps/plotter? I don't know how you'd get AIS to
work without a plotter of some sort.

Wayne.B March 30th 06 11:50 PM

AIS system and Furuno Radar

On 30 Mar 2006 13:04:43 -0800, wrote:

Is the FP 2110 a radar/gps/plotter? I don't know how you'd get AIS to
work without a plotter of some sort.

Exactly. There are at least two or three issues:

1) How, and in what format, do you get the AIS data into the system?

NavNet port? NEMA sentences?

2) Is the Furuno designed to plot external data on either the radar
or chart plotter?

The Furuno NavNet V1/V2 units are designed to accept ARPA data
sentences from external sources which is somewhat similar, but I'm not
sure about AIS, nor the capabilities of your unit.

You might try reposting on rec.boats.electronics or contacting Furuno
directly.