BoatBanter.com

-   -   Johnson 48 resurrection (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/677-johnson-48-resurrection.html)

Jef Gearhart August 14th 03 05:27 PM

Johnson 48 resurrection

I just purchased a 15' fisshing boat with Johnson 48 HP outboard. The
thing sat for a couple of years. I drained the gas and replaced it.
It starts and runs just fine (a little rough at idle, but acceptable).
When I rev the idle throttle, the engine revs to high RPMs as it
should. In the water, when I put it in reverse and nail it, it revs
to high RPMs. Of course it does not go very fast in reverse, but the
engine is revving properly.

When I go forward (full throttle) the engine only revs to about half
power. I can only go about 7-8 mph at full throttle. But it sounds
like it is running ok. I took off the engine cover and observed that
when doing this, the little arm that swings when throttle opens is
swinging the appropriate distance, same as when I rev the idle
throttle.

What gives?

Ðon ßailey August 14th 03 08:54 PM

Johnson 48 resurrection

"Jef Gearhart" wrote in message
m...
I just purchased a 15' fisshing boat with Johnson 48 HP outboard. The
thing sat for a couple of years.

That's not good.

I drained the gas and replaced it.
It starts and runs just fine (a little rough at idle, but acceptable).
When I rev the idle throttle, the engine revs to high RPMs as it
should. In the water, when I put it in reverse and nail it, it revs
to high RPMs. Of course it does not go very fast in reverse, but the
engine is revving properly.

When I go forward (full throttle) the engine only revs to about half
power. I can only go about 7-8 mph at full throttle. But it sounds
like it is running ok. I took off the engine cover and observed that
when doing this, the little arm that swings when throttle opens is
swinging the appropriate distance, same as when I rev the idle
throttle.

What gives?

You probably need to throw a tach on it to make SURE what
your RPMs are when "revving"

db

bb August 14th 03 09:02 PM

Johnson 48 resurrection

On 14 Aug 2003 09:27:42 -0700, (Jef Gearhart)
wrote:

I just purchased a 15' fisshing boat with Johnson 48 HP outboard

What gives?

I'm gonna guess gummed up carb(s). Only way to be sure is to drag it
over to Clams house and let him have a look.

bb