BoatBanter.com

-   -   Nissan/Tohatsu dependability? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/67480-nissan-tohatsu-dependability.html)

[email protected] March 9th 06 11:15 PM

Nissan/Tohatsu dependability?

ANy comments on the Nissan/Tohatsu line as far as dependability goes?
Im thinking of getting a 2006 model 9.8 4 stroke. I heard that Tohatsu
is the biggest outboard manufacturer in the world. Anyone know if thats
true? I would love to hear some comments from Nissan/Tohatsu owners.
Thanks much.

JimH March 9th 06 11:31 PM

Nissan/Tohatsu dependability?

wrote in message
oups.com...
ANy comments on the Nissan/Tohatsu line as far as dependability goes?
Im thinking of getting a 2006 model 9.8 4 stroke. I heard that Tohatsu
is the biggest outboard manufacturer in the world. Anyone know if thats
true? I would love to hear some comments from Nissan/Tohatsu owners.
Thanks much.

I have never heard anything bad about them.

I never had any problems with my 5 hp 2 stroke Nissan.

Jim March 10th 06 01:04 AM

wrote:
ANy comments on the Nissan/Tohatsu line as far as dependability goes?
Im thinking of getting a 2006 model 9.8 4 stroke. I heard that Tohatsu
is the biggest outboard manufacturer in the world. Anyone know if thats
true? I would love to hear some comments from Nissan/Tohatsu owners.
Thanks much.

I have a 2000 18 horse Nissan 2 stroke. It's very light for an 18, 81
pounds. Powers a Caribe C-12 RIB. Perfect combination.

It has been very dependable.

I'd love to trade it off for a 4 stroke, but they are a lot heavier.

Dan Krueger March 10th 06 01:24 AM

wrote:

ANy comments on the Nissan/Tohatsu line as far as dependability goes?
Im thinking of getting a 2006 model 9.8 4 stroke. I heard that Tohatsu
is the biggest outboard manufacturer in the world. Anyone know if thats
true? I would love to hear some comments from Nissan/Tohatsu owners.
Thanks much.

They are common on rental boats. That must count for something.

Dan

Garth Almgren March 10th 06 03:51 AM

Around 3/9/2006 3:15 PM, wrote:

ANy comments on the Nissan/Tohatsu line as far as dependability goes?
Im thinking of getting a 2006 model 9.8 4 stroke. I heard that Tohatsu
is the biggest outboard manufacturer in the world. Anyone know if thats
true? I would love to hear some comments from Nissan/Tohatsu owners.
Thanks much.

I love my 1998-ish Nissan 40D. Except for the rare occasions when I've
killed the battery by leaving something on, the motor has started the
first or second (if I'm not paying enough attention to the choke) try
every time I've turned the key. Except for wanting a few more horses,
I'm completely happy with the motor; it's really been great.

My grandpa had a early 80s Nissan 15 horse on his Sorenson dingy. That
thing took years of abuse from 6 of us grandchildren, was deep frozen
winter after winter in the Frasier river valley, and the only problem
that I'm aware we ever had with it was running out of gas. :)

The two-strokes are great. I don't have any experience with the fours,
so I can't comment on their reliability. I also have heard rumors that
some small Mercs are really Nissans in disguise.

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing

Drew March 10th 06 09:55 PM

Nissan/Tohatsu dependability?

I have worked at marina for over 20 years now, and I think Nissan
definitly makes a good motor, as does Tohatsu, they are definitly not
bad choices, but if I were buying right now there would be only two
players - Yamaha and Honda, they are by far the best most reliable
outboards on the market, when we sell a yamaha or honda, we NEVER have
customers come back problems...