BoatBanter.com

-   -   Re-inventing the fishing pole (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/66284-re-inventing-fishing-pole.html)

[email protected] February 8th 06 01:00 AM

Re-inventing the fishing pole

With all her fishing success, my 9 yr old daughter has become wildly
excited about fishing. But, she has trouble casting. She has never
fished with anything but a Zebco 33 rod and reel so has no notion of a
cane pole. Being inventive, she decided to make a fishing rod she
could use by herself. A stick about 6' long, about 10' of line, a
bobber, sinker and hook. She decided to wind the line around a toilet
paper roll.

[email protected] February 8th 06 01:16 AM

wrote:
With all her fishing success, my 9 yr old daughter has become wildly
excited about fishing. But, she has trouble casting. She has never
fished with anything but a Zebco 33 rod and reel so has no notion of a
cane pole. Being inventive, she decided to make a fishing rod she
could use by herself. A stick about 6' long, about 10' of line, a
bobber, sinker and hook. She decided to wind the line around a toilet
paper roll.

Encourage that. She might become an engineer. You should be proud.

It's wonderful to see that some kids will still try to invent a playtoy
or what not in this age where all the toys and games are so highly
specialized (and usually tied to a TV show or a movie).

[email protected] February 8th 06 01:13 PM

wrote:
With all her fishing success, my 9 yr old daughter has become wildly
excited about fishing. But, she has trouble casting. She has never
fished with anything but a Zebco 33 rod and reel so has no notion of a
cane pole. Being inventive, she decided to make a fishing rod she
could use by herself. A stick about 6' long, about 10' of line, a
bobber, sinker and hook. She decided to wind the line around a toilet
paper roll.

Having fished all of my life, I'll bet I've caught more fish on a Zebco
33 than all of the costly gear I've accumulated.... Every time someone
mentions a 33, my mind takes me to a simpler time.

[email protected] February 8th 06 07:07 PM

Re-inventing the fishing pole

My daughter's (Katie) theory is that the stiff thick stick she used
will make it easier to bring in the fish as it will not bend like the
rod did when she reeled in her catfish.

Calif Bill February 9th 06 05:37 AM

Re-inventing the fishing pole

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
My daughter's (Katie) theory is that the stiff thick stick she used
will make it easier to bring in the fish as it will not bend like the
rod did when she reeled in her catfish.

The theory is wrong, especially with smaller fish and lighter line. The
rod is supposed to bend.

If the line does not break or the hook does not pull out, it will be easier.