BoatBanter.com

-   -   Floriduh Boat Service (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/65786-floriduh-boat-service.html)

Skipper January 27th 06 09:22 PM

Floriduh Boat Service

From the cruising NG:

Subject: Marina Question ,,,

Here in N. FL. its sometimes an adventure getting anything done on "One
o' them damn sailboats". I went to Carabelle, Fl to get my mast
stepped. The woman told me "We aint never done that afore" so I asked
about their insurance and remarkably thye had it. The mast steppers
were a crew of 3 oyster shucker drop outs who musta given up cuz the
oysters were smarter than them. They decided to sorta use the travel
lift but couldnt figger it out so they just used its cross beam. They
found two pieces of old rope lying round on the ground and tied em
together, threw em over the cross beam, other end went to the bumper of
on old truck painted with camo colors. The bumper was tied on with an
equally ragged piece of rope. They tied the rope around the mast near
the spreaders, revved up the truck so it belched oily blue smoke and
slowly pulled it up the ramp and miraculously my mast rose to vertical.
Cuz the only thing they destroyed was the VHF antenna I gave em each a
tip and saw em all take off for the bar. I think it cost maybe $120.00.

--
Skipper

Skipper January 27th 06 09:47 PM

Floriduh Boat Service

Harry Krause wrote:

For openers, Carabelle, Florida, is not NORTH Florida. It is the Florida
Panhandle, and it is not an area known for sailboters. Outside of
Tallahassee, it is far better known as an area where women are
impregnated by their fathers and brothers.

But larger sailboats are not popular in the real North Florida, either,
the Atlantic Ocean part of North Florida from, say, Daytona to
Fernindina Beach.

Why? Because most of the inlets that lead from marinas to to the ocean
are very difficult passages for sailboats. They're windy, they have fast
currents, and near several of the inlets, there's little but sandbar
shoals.

Gawd, Floriduh sounds like a horrible place to go blow boating.
Fortunately, I know a place that is pure boaters heaven for such worthy
craft. So, what's the preferred draft for those turbid Floriduh waters,
15 inches?

--
Skipper

[email protected] January 28th 06 02:25 AM

Floriduh Boat Service

NW FL is truly a gawdawful place to sail. All we have to see is
isolated barrier islands, my favorite being Dog Island, an anarchists
paradise. We locals dont like them rich yankees too much either. East
of Carabelle the water is so dang shallow you could just about walk out
5 miles. We dont b'leve in channel markers neither. St Marks is bout
the onliest place a deep draft boat (deep being more than 1 foot) can
get in and after Hurricane Dennis even Posey's oyster bar is gone.
About the time summer comes, we have all those nasty hurricanes. It
is really bad so y'all ought not to come here.
For Harry: Angelo's is still closed after Dennis and looks as if it
might never reopen.

Skipper January 28th 06 05:17 AM

Floriduh Boat Service

wrote:

" wrote:

East of Carabelle the water is so dang shallow you could just about
walk out5 miles.

The bay inside Cape San Blas is that way too. My bulldog doesn't swim
at all but he got about a half mile offshore and was still in shoulder
deep water.

Probably why the boat manufacturers push Floriduh on the unsuspecting.
Motorcycle manufacturers did the same thing many years ago when they
pushed motocross. Traditional racing formats just didn't tear up
equipment fast enough for their liking so they promoted motocross.

--
Skipper

Dan Krueger January 31st 06 01:18 AM

Floriduh Boat Service

Skipper wrote:

wrote:

" wrote:

East of Carabelle the water is so dang shallow you could just about
walk out5 miles.

The bay inside Cape San Blas is that way too. My bulldog doesn't swim
at all but he got about a half mile offshore and was still in shoulder
deep water.

Probably why the boat manufacturers push Floriduh on the unsuspecting.
Motorcycle manufacturers did the same thing many years ago when they
pushed motocross. Traditional racing formats just didn't tear up
equipment fast enough for their liking so they promoted motocross.

--
Skipper

How much do you have to smoke to come up with this stuff? You are WAY
out there.

Dan

JimH January 31st 06 01:22 AM

Floriduh Boat Service

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
link.net...
Skipper wrote:

wrote:

" wrote:

East of Carabelle the water is so dang shallow you could just about
walk out5 miles.

The bay inside Cape San Blas is that way too. My bulldog doesn't swim
at all but he got about a half mile offshore and was still in shoulder
deep water.

Probably why the boat manufacturers push Floriduh on the unsuspecting.
Motorcycle manufacturers did the same thing many years ago when they
pushed motocross. Traditional racing formats just didn't tear up
equipment fast enough for their liking so they promoted motocross.

--
Skipper

How much do you have to smoke to come up with this stuff? You are WAY out
there.

Dan

It comes naturally for Skippy. ;-)

NOYB January 31st 06 01:31 AM

Floriduh Boat Service

Skipper wrote:

wrote:

" wrote:

East of Carabelle the water is so dang shallow you could just about
walk out5 miles.

The bay inside Cape San Blas is that way too. My bulldog doesn't swim
at all but he got about a half mile offshore and was still in shoulder
deep water.

Probably why the boat manufacturers push Floriduh on the unsuspecting.
Motorcycle manufacturers did the same thing many years ago when they
pushed motocross. Traditional racing formats just didn't tear up
equipment fast enough for their liking so they promoted motocross.

--
Skipper

How much do you have to smoke to come up with this stuff? You are WAY out
there.

They thought about pushing Kansas on unsuspecting boat buyers, but realized
that even the dumbest of the dumb wouldn't live in Kansas if they were into
boating.