BoatBanter.com

-   -   Harry's rec.boats Posting Stats Aug 03 to Mid Dec 05 (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/64238-harrys-rec-boats-posting-stats-aug-03-mid-dec-05-a.html)

JimH December 18th 05 12:59 PM

Harry's rec.boats Posting Stats Aug 03 to Mid Dec 05

"Skipper" wrote in message

Here are the postings, month to date, for December
From the Google page "about this group"

1118

Consider that some of the people on this list post exclusively OT
political stuff, and others post primarily OT political stuff, and it's
easy to see why the group has taken on the overall
nothing-to-do-with-boating tone. (That tone includes this thread, and
my participation in it).

Today was an eye opener for me. While it is obvious Harry Krause is the
root cause of the sickness infesting this NG, I didn't realize until
today that four facilitators must share the blame with him. In this
regard, Harry is right. Bert Robbins, JimH, Doug Kanter, and P. Fitz do
seem to be dedicated to making rec.boats the embarrassment it has
become.

Appears the *only* resolution to the problem is a moderator, IMO. I'll
be heading out soon, so cannot take the lead in this campaign to salvage
the original intent of rec.boats. What about you? Will you take that
lead and further volunteer to be moderator for this NG? Shall we start a
petition?

--
Skipper

Skippy, glad to see you found religion after your opening weeks here
constantly insulting, telling lies about and berating Chuck.

So tell us some Derby, Kansas boating adventure stories Skipper.

JohnH December 18th 05 01:25 PM

On 17 Dec 2005 22:06:54 -0800, wrote:

Here are the postings, month to date, for December
From the Google page "about this group"

1118
497
438
327
327 askmeaboutmydrivewayleadinguptomyman...
266
250
246
236
216

is JimH
jherri and pocoloco are both John H, I believe, moving him clearly into
second place
with a total of 674 posts in the last 17 days.

askmeaboutmydriveway.......is, I believe, Smithers- obsessed as always
with you know who.

is one of the conservative guys, I believe, and I think
its either Fritz or Bert. (I get them mixed up all the time).

whi.......is, I believe, Don White

n.......is NOYB.

Consider that some of the people on this list post exclusively OT
political stuff, and others post primarily OT political stuff, and it's
easy to see why the group has taken on the overall
nothing-to-do-with-boating tone. (That tone includes this thread, and
my participation in it).

Surely you've noticed the marked decrease in the 'Harry vs the World' (or vice-versa) squabbling
over the past two days.

Being 'gentlemanly' is much easier when one isn't being called vulgar names, or when a group
(conservative or liberals) aren't being generalized with vulgar names.

Wayne B. accomplished a lot. There's room for improvement, on both sides.
--
John H

**** May your Christmas be Spectacular!****
*****...and your New Year even Better!*****

JohnH December 18th 05 01:43 PM

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 07:59:55 -0500, " JimH" wrote:

"Skipper" wrote in message

Here are the postings, month to date, for December
From the Google page "about this group"

[...]

I have found that it *is* possible to make a post, even one in disagreement with a position,
*without* calling names. What would be so hard about it?

JimH December 18th 05 01:51 PM

"Skipper" wrote in message

Here are the postings, month to date, for December
From the Google page "about this group"

[...]

Where did I say it was John?

I commented on the fact that after being absent for some time Skipper comes
back and proceeds to insult, tell lies about and berate Chuck Gould for
weeks and weeks and with absolutely no reason for doing so. He has also
offered very little, if any, on topic contributions other than regurgitating
old posts of his about some made up adventures on the wild Sea of Cortez in
his beat up old Bayliner.

Yet he has the balls to call me on the carpet.

Go figure.

[email protected] December 18th 05 02:06 PM

Skipper wrote:
wrote:

Here are the postings, month to date, for December
From the Google page "about this group"

[...]

Not the moderating type, sorry.

I think that we change the world by first changing ourselves, rather
than by passing or enforcing a strict set of rules. Besides, I
personally don't mind a bit of OT stuff sprinkled in here and there.
It's the vicious, uncivil tone, and the personal remarks, and the daily
flame wars that have literally continued from one century to the next
that seem extremely juvenile.

Actions speak louder than words. Regardless of the thoughts expressed
by any individual poster about the type of group he or she would like
to see rec.boats become, following the tone, the volume, and the
content of the posts gives a true picture of that person's priorities.
How often have we heard, "I think calling names is disgusting, and I'll
stop as soon as that blankety, blankety, blankety, blank {insert name
here} does!"?

Actual adults wouldn't need a moderator, and a moderator wouldn't turn
most of us into actual adults.

Eisboch December 18th 05 02:30 PM

Harry's rec.boats Posting Stats Aug 03 to Mid Dec 05

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

Actually, I'm hoping Eisboch will let me take that crappy Ford truck off
his hands for, say, $1500 American. I have the money right here.

Wait a minute. I thought the offer was $2500.

Checked on the repair progress Sat. They have asked me to meet with them
and a Ford factory rep on Monday. They also said the truck will be ready to
go on at that time.

My hunch is they are going to offer an extended warranty.

We shall see.

Eisboch

Wayne.B December 18th 05 03:07 PM

A Moderator for Rec.Boats

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:53:47 -0600, Skipper wrote:

Skipper wrote:

Appears the *only* resolution to the problem is a moderator, IMO:

I don't think that's the only resolution at all. A bit more civility
and adult behavior would go along way, as would some modicum of regard
for others.

For those who still don't get it, there's always the kill file.

Don White December 18th 05 03:09 PM

wrote:

[...]

That makes more sense than a couple dozen 'newsgroup sermons'.
Since it's Christmas week I'm going to try to turn the other cheek (no
not that one Krueger) and try to reflect on the reason for Christmas.

DownTime December 18th 05 03:15 PM

A Moderator for Rec.Boats

I don't think that's the only resolution at all. A bit more civility
and adult behavior would go along way, as would some modicum of regard
for others.

have you ever seen any civility when thte topic turns 'political'. i
dount it will ever happen.

i simply try to ignore them for the most part, but they do sometimes
offer up a valid boating related post. will we get to vote on the
moderator? is it a paid position? ;)