BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tom Tom GPS (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/63499-tom-tom-gps.html)

Eisboch November 30th 05 12:13 AM

Tom Tom GPS

Bought one of these little dubbers for my truck today on a whim.

Neat little unit. Totally unqualified for boats though.

Eisboch

JR North November 30th 05 01:54 AM

Tom Tom GPS

Summation would be exactly the same if it were called Skipper Skipper.
JR
couldn't resist

Eisboch November 30th 05 12:06 PM

Tom Tom GPS

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:13:56 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Bought one of these little dubbers for my truck today on a whim.

Neat little unit. Totally unqualified for boats though.

Which one did you get?

I remember a few years ago when these were first introduced - they got
killed by reviewers - they took the criticism to heart and now I
understand they have a great product.

Of course, it will take the State of Connecticut another year or so to
decide that these are a "distraction" and ban them from all vehicles
or from using them while driving.

Later,

Tom

I got the cheaper one - the "300". The only big difference that I can see
in the specs is that the higher priced model has a faster CPU.

I used to use a DeLorme Earthmate with a laptop in the motorhome when we had
it. I found the laptop to be clumsy and distracting to use. The Tom Tom is
pretty much set and forget. Garmin makes a similar unit at the same price
but Tom Tom actually has a few more user features.

One more trip to Florida starting the end of this week. Gonna close on the
house and tow the Scout back north.

Eisboch

Wayne.B November 30th 05 02:43 PM

Tom Tom GPS

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:06:37 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

One more trip to Florida starting the end of this week. Gonna close on the
house and tow the Scout back north.

==================================

Weather and boating are pretty nice here this time of year. Sorry to
see you go. Several of our neighbors have come down with "hurricane
fever" and are talking about moving to the Carolinas. Out of the
frying pan into the fire in my opinion.

Eisboch November 30th 05 07:51 PM

Tom Tom GPS

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:06:37 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

One more trip to Florida starting the end of this week. Gonna close on
the
house and tow the Scout back north.

==================================

Weather and boating are pretty nice here this time of year. Sorry to
see you go. Several of our neighbors have come down with "hurricane
fever" and are talking about moving to the Carolinas. Out of the
frying pan into the fire in my opinion.

The hurricanes, although a pain, where a minor factor in our decision. I
love the winter weather in south Florida and will miss it big time. The
primary reasons are elderly parents up north who need more and more
attention, grandkids that are growing up too fast and Mrs. E's nest that
happens to include two, 1000 lb hayburners.

We also learned that living in a fairly exclusive gated community was not
our style and will never do that again. Too many "clicks" and busybodies.
We both like our privacy and independence.

BTW - Although advised to be careful, I decided to leave the Navigator wet
this winter. Kinda looking forward to sitting in a blizzard watching the
snow fly from the lower helm. Mrs. E's GB is all tucked away for the
winter - she arranged indoor storage, of course.

Eisboch

Wayne.B November 30th 05 11:55 PM

Tom Tom GPS

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:51:35 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Mrs. E's GB is all tucked away for the
winter - she arranged indoor storage, of course.

Good idea with the GB what with all of that varnished woodwork. Mine
needs a new top coat after only 7 months (and that was mostly up
north). :-(

There's an impressive statistic for you: 1,000 lbs per horse power...

Not likely to reach planing speed.

jps November 30th 05 11:56 PM

Tom Tom GPS

In article ,
says...

We also learned that living in a fairly exclusive gated community was not
our style and will never do that again. Too many "clicks" and busybodies.
We both like our privacy and independence.

Cliques.

Good for you. I used to work with a very smart man, famous for his
sense and a lot more. One day I asked him why my friends who used to
have trouble with drugs were now discovering Jesus.

He said, "Let me put it to you this way jps, people need somethin' to
do."

Yup.

You and the Mrs. need to do somethin' other than what those who inhabit
gated communities regularly do. Between gossiping and shopping they
seem plenty busy.

jps

Eisboch December 1st 05 12:02 AM

Tom Tom GPS

"jps" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

We also learned that living in a fairly exclusive gated community was not
our style and will never do that again. Too many "clicks" and
busybodies.
We both like our privacy and independence.

Cliques.

Good for you. I used to work with a very smart man, famous for his
sense and a lot more. One day I asked him why my friends who used to
have trouble with drugs were now discovering Jesus.

He said, "Let me put it to you this way jps, people need somethin' to
do."

Yup.

You and the Mrs. need to do somethin' other than what those who inhabit
gated communities regularly do. Between gossiping and shopping they
seem plenty busy.

jps

Had to laugh at myself. "Clicks". Shows I never took english classes too
seriously.

Mrs.E and I have plenty to do, that's for sure. We just don't want to do it
"there". Anyone that says retirement is boring isn't really retired.

Eisboch (back to the endless projects)

jps December 1st 05 02:28 AM

Tom Tom GPS

In article ,
says...

Mrs.E and I have plenty to do, that's for sure. We just don't want to do it
"there". Anyone that says retirement is boring isn't really retired.

I can't wait for retirement. I've got a lot I want to do...

jps

jps December 1st 05 03:31 AM

Tom Tom GPS

In article ,
says...
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:28:36 -0800, jps wrote:

In article ,

says...

Mrs.E and I have plenty to do, that's for sure. We just don't want to do it
"there". Anyone that says retirement is boring isn't really retired.

I can't wait for retirement. I've got a lot I want to do...

Trust me on this - your SO or kids will find things for you to do
leaving zero, and I do mean zero, time for anything that YOU may want
to do. :)

I've been polishing my "ditch 'em without detection" skills in
preparation.

jps