BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT--Even more good news for the Holidays! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/63471-ot-even-more-good-news-holidays.html)

NOYB November 29th 05 05:58 PM

OT--Even more good news for the Holidays!

Now, we already covered the following:

Retail sales for Thanksgiving weekend up 22% from a year ago.

Gas prices have fallen 25% in the last 5 weeks (reach 5 month low)

Stock market up 7% in last 5 weeks (reaches 4 1/2 year high)

But now there is *more* good news:

Consumer Confidence Up As Gas Prices Dip
By MARTIN CRUTSINGER 1 hour, 44 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Orders to U.S. factories for big-ticket manufactured goods and
sales of new homes rose sharply in October while consumer confidence soared
in November, all indications the economy is recovering from the blow
delivered by the Gulf Coast hurricanes.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051129/..._ec_fi/economy

thunder November 29th 05 07:07 PM

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:58:49 +0000, NOYB wrote:

Now, we already covered the following:

Retail sales for Thanksgiving weekend up 22% from a year ago.

Gas prices have fallen 25% in the last 5 weeks (reach 5 month low)

Stock market up 7% in last 5 weeks (reaches 4 1/2 year high)

But now there is *more* good news:

But is all the news good?

NOYB November 29th 05 08:24 PM

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 17:58:49 +0000, NOYB wrote:

Now, we already covered the following:

Retail sales for Thanksgiving weekend up 22% from a year ago.

Gas prices have fallen 25% in the last 5 weeks (reach 5 month low)

Stock market up 7% in last 5 weeks (reaches 4 1/2 year high)

But now there is *more* good news:

But is all the news good?

If you're holding a lot of gold, that's good news.

thunder November 29th 05 08:27 PM

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:24:41 +0000, NOYB wrote:

But now there is *more* good news:

But is all the news good?

If you're holding a lot of gold, that's good news.

If you're holding a lot of US paper, it might not be.

NOYB November 29th 05 08:58 PM

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:24:41 +0000, NOYB wrote:

But now there is *more* good news:

But is all the news good?

If you're holding a lot of gold, that's good news.

If you're holding a lot of US paper, it might not be.

So then Bush has found a way to destabilize the Chinese government!

thunder November 30th 05 12:05 PM

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:58:55 +0000, NOYB wrote:

If you're holding a lot of US paper, it might not be.

So then Bush has found a way to destabilize the Chinese government!

You may have something there, perhaps. Not only would defaulting on our
bonds give the Chinese problems, but a default would chase all foreign
investors away. The end result would be that our Congress would finally
have to address our deficit and start living within their means. Seems
like a rather harsh way to get them to do their job, though.

NOYB November 30th 05 02:15 PM

"thunder" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:58:55 +0000, NOYB wrote:

If you're holding a lot of US paper, it might not be.

So then Bush has found a way to destabilize the Chinese government!

You may have something there, perhaps. Not only would defaulting on our
bonds give the Chinese problems, but a default would chase all foreign
investors away. The end result would be that our Congress would finally
have to address our deficit and start living within their means. Seems
like a rather harsh way to get them to do their job, though.

Inflation is also a valuable tool for helping folks like me who are laden
with debt (at a low, fixed interest rate of course).

It sucks for people with a lot of savings though.