BoatBanter.com

-   -   Need Info on Degreasing an Outboard Motor? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/63317-need-info-degreasing-outboard-motor.html)

[email protected] November 25th 05 08:04 PM

Need Info on Degreasing an Outboard Motor?

I need some info about degreasing an outboard motor:

- Should we degrease an outboard motor? The author of a book says
we should degrease the motor. But I am not sure if he meant for
an I/O engine or for an outboard motor.

- Can we use freshwater to spray the engine block of an outboard
motor after applying degreaser and brushing? I have never done
this before. Therefore, I want to know if this is the right thing
to do.
Should we mist it instead of spraying it? I am afraid that water
may find its way inside the engine block and rust the inside.
Is there a sure way to prevent water from getting in or getting
rid of water after the water has found its way into the motoe?

- What should I apply on the engine part of an outboard motor after
I have degreased and cleaned the engine. One book says nothing
about doing anything after degreasing the motor; another book says
using WD-40, another book says that we should use something
else. I have a feeling that we should put something on the engine
block to prevent corrosion. WD-40 is cheap and readily available.
But WD-40 is a kind of oil, right? Isn't the purpose of degreasing
is to remove oil film from the surface of the motor? Putting WD-40
will be putting oil back to where we have just removed the oil.
I don't understand this.

Next week will have two warmer days in my area. I expect those two
days will be the last chance for me to finish winterizing the boat.
Therefore, I want to get all the info ready before next week.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan