BoatBanter.com

-   -   Going RADAR! (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/63069-going-radar.html)

Eisboch November 20th 05 12:14 AM

Going RADAR!

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 20:25:44 GMT, Commodore Joe Redcloud©
wrote:
As far as temporarily mounting the unit on your dodger... DON'T! The
antenna needs to be mounted high enough that it's beam will not hit
you unless you are at least 8-10 feet away. Putting it on the dodger
means it will be burning what's left of your eyes to a crisp. Just
forget it! Wait until you have it properly mounted.

I, also, have the Furuno 1623. Previously, a thread erupted on this
very subject and I became rather concerned with the associated
dangers. Since mine is mounted on the hardtop, it could expose people
forward of the Radar location to radiation.

I talked to the engineers at Furuno and they assured me that unless
you stuck your nose to the radome for an unreasonable length of time,
no harm would result. Bear in mind, however, we are talking a low
power Radar like the 1623..... with big units, all bets are off.
You'll be microwaved..... and the more fluid a part of the body holds,
the more likely damage will occur and the more severe the damage, if
any. Eyes are probably the very first to go...

With that thought in mind.... I worry more about large Radar units on
other boats and ships.

Also, once you install Radar, you are obliged to use it under COLREGS
Rule 7, then Rule 6. It doesn't, however, supercede the requirement
for a visual lookout under Rule 5. Rule 19 implies that one should
rely more heavily on Radar in regions of restricted visibility.

...."it has been held that failure to effectively use radar is a
statutory violation....."
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...ase&no=9636053

--

I've had both Furuno and Raymarine units. The Furuno was 6kw and the
Raymarine is 4kw.

I seem to recall reading in one of manuals (can't remember which system)
that there is a programmable blanking system whereby the beam is not pulsed
whenever the transmitter arm was pointing in a particular direction, +/- a
few degrees. I my case I didn't need to use this feature since both radars
are mounted well above any deck area that a person might interupt the beam,
but I've seen other installations where it is obvious that people are
getting zapped. My brother's boat was one of them, but now he's happy he
can't have any more kids.

Eisboch

Lloyd November 21st 05 06:02 PM

Going RADAR!

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:03:19 -0500, *JimH* wrote:

"Lloyd" wrote in message
Hi,
Well, after thinking about it for several years, I'm biting the bullet
and buying radar for Far Cove. I just want a Simple one that will tell me
if a freighter is bearing down on me 2 miles away in the fog. So I'm
getting the JRC 1000 - Steveston Marine has it for $1200.

This weekend, I'm just gonna duct-tape(?) the antenna to the dodger or
something, but I'd appreciate suggestions on where to mount on a 36ft
sailboat. Mast? Or separate mast on the stern? Or should I get a "radar
arch" and mount my VHF antenna, GPS antenna, radar, and solar panels on
it?

Also, where should I mount the display? I steer Far Cove from all over
the cockpit, rarely from behind the wheel, so a pedastal mount may not be
the best (maybe OK if it swivels...). And I'd have to remove it when I'm
leaving the boat. Or maybe under the dodger?

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36
http://www.bcboatnet.org/

Just attach a mounting platform to the mast and attach the radar unit to the
platform.

The display should be mounted at the main helm area. All your electronics
should be mounted in a central area. All displays should be removable and
taken off the boat when you leave.

Well, SWMBO vetoed the purchase, so it's radar reflector, 2 GPS's,
Sounder, VHF, etc. for now... (And those displays are mainly mounted on
the bulkhead in front of the cockpit. I bought the Furano GPS specifically
because it has a display I can read fron 10 ft away)

How do you steer the boat from "all over the cockpit, rarely behind the
wheel.."???

1. Otto (I can make corrections from the display unit mounted under the
dodger),
2. Under sail, Far Cove is well-balanced enough that she doesn't
need helm corrections, and
3. from beside the wheel, in front of the wheel (leaning against the
pedestal...)

Lloyd