BoatBanter.com

-   -   Balancing a trailer???? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/61592-balancing-trailer.html)

rcoleman October 17th 05 11:49 AM

Balancing a trailer????

What is the proper way to balance a trailer? I have a 18ft CC sitting on a
single axle trailer, and I'm getting ready to replace the springs(rusted).
The other day, I was talking to a guy with a 26 footer, also on a trailer,
and he could lift his trailer tongue with one hand. No way I can do that
with mine. So it got me thinking of ways I could fix it. The boat sits well,
so I don't think shifting the boat is the answer, so how about moving the
axle slightly forward when I change the springs? I'm not even sure I can do
that.
So, how do you balance a trailer, and most of all, what is the stupidest
thing that could happen from the effort?
Thanks

JamesgangNC October 17th 05 02:24 PM

Balancing a trailer????

There is a percentage of total weight that is supposed to be onthe tongue.
I believe it is %10. The guy with the 26' boat that can lift the tonque
does not have his trailer balanced properly. You can achieve it either by
moving the springs or by moving the boat. Yours is most likely fine.

Don White October 17th 05 02:25 PM

Balancing a trailer????

rcoleman wrote:
What is the proper way to balance a trailer? I have a 18ft CC sitting on a
single axle trailer, and I'm getting ready to replace the springs(rusted).
The other day, I was talking to a guy with a 26 footer, also on a trailer,
and he could lift his trailer tongue with one hand. No way I can do that
with mine. So it got me thinking of ways I could fix it. The boat sits well,
so I don't think shifting the boat is the answer, so how about moving the
axle slightly forward when I change the springs? I'm not even sure I can do
that.
So, how do you balance a trailer, and most of all, what is the stupidest
thing that could happen from the effort?
Thanks

One hand??? Who was he...the Terminator?
Roughly one tenth of your boat weight should be on the tongue.
My boat/trailer/motor weigh around 1700-1800 lbs but I have 130lbs on
the tongue...a bit light.
Safety issue here...
http://www.etrailer.com/faq/trailer-towing-tips.asp

Harry.Krause October 17th 05 02:57 PM

Balancing a trailer????

In article , rcoleman says...

What is the proper way to balance a trailer? I have a 18ft CC sitting on a
single axle trailer, and I'm getting ready to replace the springs(rusted).
The other day, I was talking to a guy with a 26 footer, also on a trailer,
and he could lift his trailer tongue with one hand. No way I can do that
with mine. So it got me thinking of ways I could fix it. The boat sits well,
so I don't think shifting the boat is the answer, so how about moving the
axle slightly forward when I change the springs? I'm not even sure I can do
that.
So, how do you balance a trailer, and most of all, what is the stupidest
thing that could happen from the effort?
Thanks

I pretended to do that once, it was easy.

N.L. Eckert October 17th 05 02:59 PM

Balancing a trailer????

(rcoleman)
What is the proper way to balance a trailer? I have a 18ft CC sitting on
a single axle trailer, and I'm getting ready to replace the
springs(rusted). The other day, I was talking to a guy with a 26 footer,
also on a trailer, and he could lift his trailer tongue with one hand.
No way I can do that with mine. So it got me thinking of ways I could
fix it. The boat sits well, so I don't think shifting the boat is the
answer, so how about moving the axle slightly forward when I change the
springs? I'm not even sure I can do that.
So, how do you balance a trailer, and most of all, what is the stupidest
thing that could happen from the effort?
Thanks
==================================
This came up a few years ago and the consensus was that for a boat 20 to
25 feet the average weight should be from 75 to 100 pounds on the
tongue. Out of curiosity, I checked the tongue weight on my 21 footer
by putting a regular bathroom scale under the tongue jack. It showed
85 pounds which was what the dealer set it up for. (About the only
thing he did right!!)

Happy boating and thanx for posting a boat related topic!!

Norm

Don White October 17th 05 03:10 PM

Balancing a trailer????

Harry Krause wrote:
Don White wrote:

rcoleman wrote:

[...]

What? You mean 70 pounds of tongue weight is not enough for my
7000-pound Parker? :}

Only if one of the rabid righties is following on your bumper...honking
for you to speed up.

.....naw, I don't really mean that....

rcoleman October 17th 05 06:56 PM

Balancing a trailer????

Thanks for the input. I got out the bath scales and found my tongue weighed
over 300lbs (have fun with that one). It does help explain why I've always
had such great traction at the ramp! I'm almost disinclined to change it now
because my normal towing distance is only about a mile, and the speed limit
is 25mph. So handling doesn't really play an important part, and the extra
weight on the drive wheels might be missed at low tide on a slippery ramp. I
always wondered why those guys in the macho pick-ups spun and slid, and my
BMW just pulled right out.

Just for kicks, does anyone know what a 18ft CC might weigh?

PocoLoco October 17th 05 09:03 PM

Balancing a trailer????

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:49:03 GMT, "rcoleman" wrote:

What is the proper way to balance a trailer? I have a 18ft CC sitting on a
single axle trailer, and I'm getting ready to replace the springs(rusted).
The other day, I was talking to a guy with a 26 footer, also on a trailer,
and he could lift his trailer tongue with one hand. No way I can do that
with mine. So it got me thinking of ways I could fix it. The boat sits well,
so I don't think shifting the boat is the answer, so how about moving the
axle slightly forward when I change the springs? I'm not even sure I can do
that.
So, how do you balance a trailer, and most of all, what is the stupidest
thing that could happen from the effort?
Thanks

The manual for my trailer calls for 6-8% of the total load as the tongue weight.
I set mine for about 7%, about 450 lbs.

Check the trailer manual, or call the manufacturer.
--
John H

William Andersen October 18th 05 02:58 AM

Balancing a trailer????

The guy with the 26 footer is not your role model: his trailer is not set up
right.
The stupidest thing that could happen is that you'd lose control and have an
accident.
Too much weight on the hitch will cause the rear end of the tow vehicle to
sag, and the front end to rise, pointing your headlights at the sky. Too
little weight on the hitch, and the trailer will fishtail instead of
following the tow vehicle.
The figures vary depending on where you look for information, but somewhere
between 6-10% of the weight should be on the hitch.
Check with the manufacturer for the weight of your boat. In normal operation
it's probably 2,000-3,000 pounds.
I paid $10 to use a moving company's scales. They weighed the trailer/boat
alone and then the trailer/boat when hitched to my tow vehicle. (The tow
vehicle wasn't on the scales.)
You can move the boat or the axle. The advantage of moving the axle is that
the hull supports won't have to be moved to continue to support the boat.

Dan Krueger October 18th 05 06:22 AM

Balancing a trailer????

rcoleman wrote:
Thanks for the input. I got out the bath scales and found my tongue weighed
over 300lbs (have fun with that one). It does help explain why I've always
had such great traction at the ramp! I'm almost disinclined to change it now
because my normal towing distance is only about a mile, and the speed limit
is 25mph. So handling doesn't really play an important part, and the extra
weight on the drive wheels might be missed at low tide on a slippery ramp. I
always wondered why those guys in the macho pick-ups spun and slid, and my
BMW just pulled right out.

Just for kicks, does anyone know what a 18ft CC might weigh?

Depends on a lot of things - motor size/weight, fuel on board, trailer
weight (aluminum or steel), etc.

I hope you have the X5 and not the X3. 3.0 or 4.4?

Dan