BoatBanter.com

-   -   Native NW'ers might remember this... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/593-re-native-nwers-might-remember.html)

jps August 9th 03 09:25 AM

Native NW'ers might remember this...

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
As there are a few folks from up this way on the NG, I thought I'd share a
memory jogger about what is becoming "old" Seattle. (Wrote this for a

fledgling
website that is being established for "old timers" to write about local
experiences in the 40's, 50's, and 60's).

The old First Avenue

I miss the old strip.

I didn't get to spend a lot of time on 1st growing up but it definitely made
a deep impression. I got to experience the public market in the late
sixties and early seventies as a teenager. A friend took me into the market
when I was 13 or 14 years old to visit his coin and stamp dealer. An eye
opener for an early teen. The odd little haunts were a gas to tour and it
felt pretty dangerous for a kid from the burbs.

1st Ave always looked pretty seedy, funky. I also remember going to the pawn
shops and music stores that've were there in the mid-sixties with my brother
who was then playing in rock bands for a living. The whole of downtown had
a much different vibe back then (but then what downtown didn't).

On a related note, when I was demolishing our funky basement (1924 house)
and removing it's 60's buildout, I ran across some very old B&W negatives in
a wall (time capsule, I don't know) that look to be images of Alaska St.
from around the 30's. I'm really curious to print them and see what's
there.

Thanks for the memories Chuck.

jps