BoatBanter.com

-   -   Stiff starting engine (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/5509-stiff-starting-engine.html)

Dick Hughes July 12th 04 09:03 PM

Stiff starting engine

My 10 year old Evinrude 30 HP engine when it is not started for a few
days seems to get very stiff and will not turn over with the electric
starter. If I give it just one pull with the rope, it will start just
fine after that with the starter. It seems like something is binding
and is freed up just enough with by pulling the rope to allow the
electric starter to have enough power to turn it over. The rope does
pull very hard also.

I have recently replaced the battery so I don't think that is the
problem.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Derek July 15th 04 03:49 AM

Stiff starting engine

On 12 Jul 2004 13:03:33 -0700, (Dick Hughes) wrote:

My 10 year old Evinrude 30 HP engine when it is not started for a few
days seems to get very stiff and will not turn over with the electric
starter. If I give it just one pull with the rope, it will start just
fine after that with the starter. It seems like something is binding
and is freed up just enough with by pulling the rope to allow the
electric starter to have enough power to turn it over. The rope does
pull very hard also.

I have recently replaced the battery so I don't think that is the
problem.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Maybe raw fuel is finding it's way into the engine while it sits, and
pushes your compression ratio thru the roof?

Try removing the spark plugs after sitting for a few days, and see if
vapor shoots out the holes. Or, run your carb dry before shutting down
and don't forget to disconnect the fuel line.

It could aslo be water, I suppose, leaking from the water jackets, but
I'm not sure that it could find it's way in while sitting for a few
days.

Bill Sheffield July 15th 04 08:46 PM

Stiff starting engine

Check the spark plugs for rust and look at the tops of the pistons, If the
pistons are real shiny then you may have a little water getting by the
headgasket.

Bill