BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yamaha 4 stroke engine noise? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/5251-yamaha-4-stroke-engine-noise.html)

CFLav8r June 27th 04 12:25 PM

Yamaha 4 stroke engine noise?

My fairly new 03' Yamaha 115hp has been making a squealing noise that sounds
like a loose belt.
Anyone have any idea what this might be?
I had the local maintenance guys at the marina look at it and they just
lubed some lower end bearing but they did not perform a sea trial.
Noise still there!

The power tilt has also been making noises but that I figure is just the
fluid level.

David
Port Canaveral, FL

Harry Krause June 27th 04 12:54 PM

CFLav8r wrote:

My fairly new 03' Yamaha 115hp has been making a squealing noise that sounds
like a loose belt.
Anyone have any idea what this might be?
I had the local maintenance guys at the marina look at it and they just
lubed some lower end bearing but they did not perform a sea trial.
Noise still there!

The power tilt has also been making noises but that I figure is just the
fluid level.

David
Port Canaveral, FL

Yeah. It isn't uncommon among brand-new Yamaha four strokes. Really. It
is a belt, and the noise will subside after some hours of use. But make
sure your local dealer looks the engine over carefully at the 10-hour
checkup.

CFLav8r June 27th 04 02:07 PM

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
CFLav8r wrote:

My fairly new 03' Yamaha 115hp has been making a squealing noise that

sounds
like a loose belt.
Anyone have any idea what this might be?
I had the local maintenance guys at the marina look at it and they just
lubed some lower end bearing but they did not perform a sea trial.
Noise still there!

The power tilt has also been making noises but that I figure is just the
fluid level.

David
Port Canaveral, FL

Yeah. It isn't uncommon among brand-new Yamaha four strokes. Really. It
is a belt, and the noise will subside after some hours of use. But make
sure your local dealer looks the engine over carefully at the 10-hour
checkup.

The noise actually started after the 10 hr checkup and it is currently near
the 60 hr mark.
Other than that, this engine has been amazing.
The combination Key West 19 with the Yamaha 115 have been fantastic together
for power, speed and response.

Billgran June 27th 04 08:05 PM

Yamaha 4 stroke engine noise?

"CFLav8r" wrote in message
m...
My fairly new 03' Yamaha 115hp has been making a squealing noise that

sounds
like a loose belt.
Anyone have any idea what this might be?
I had the local maintenance guys at the marina look at it and they just
lubed some lower end bearing but they did not perform a sea trial.
Noise still there!

The power tilt has also been making noises but that I figure is just the
fluid level.

David
Port Canaveral, FL

Some Yamaha 4 strokes, usually the V6's, will squeal if salt spray gets
sucked in under the motor cover and sprays onto the engine and belt from the
flywheel rotation. Most of the time it is because a transducer is mounted
closer than 17" from the motor's centerline. Transducers with "speed wheels"
are the worst offenders. Silicone spray, used sparingly on the belt will
quiet things down for a while.

Other Yamaha's will squeal if the rubber bushings than surround the
driveshaft just above the water pump and just below the powerhead are too
tight and dry. Sometimes a touch of silicone spray or grease will shut them
up. The upper bushing can be accessed thru the front of the motor and the
lower by removing the gearcase.

Bill Grannis
service manager