BoatBanter.com

-   -   Trailer 'tongue jacks' (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/5206-trailer-tongue-jacks.html)

Don White June 23rd 04 10:53 PM

Trailer 'tongue jacks'

Having trouble finding the 'sal****er' version of the Fulton 1000 lb tongue
jack. ( XP10S) Most local suppliers act as if I'm talking Greek. They don't
seem to know anything about this model. The Evinrude sales/repair shop that
did said they didn't see much difference and felt it was better to drill a
hole into the barrell of a regular model and thread in a grease nipple.
You'd then fill it full of grease and top it up like your wheel bearings.
The other problem...everyone has the 800 lb versions on the floor, but i
have to order the heavy duty 1000 lb model special
with over a week delivery time. We may need a 'West Marine' store in these
here parts.

Tony Thomas June 24th 04 12:25 AM

Trailer 'tongue jacks'

What are you jacking that has a tongue weight of over 800 lbs?
I doubt you will find it locally.
I found the XP10S at www.easternmarine.com for $51.77.

--
Tony
my boats at http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

Don White June 24th 04 01:08 AM

Trailer 'tongue jacks'

"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
What are you jacking that has a tongue weight of over 800 lbs?
I doubt you will find it locally.
I found the XP10S at www.easternmarine.com for $51.77.

--

My tongue weight is only 120-125 pounds but I want an oversized jack to
allow pushing the boat/trailer around on uneven surfaces without fear of

Don White June 24th 04 01:15 AM

Trailer 'tongue jacks'

"Tony Thomas" wrote in
snip
I found the XP10S at www.easternmarine.com for $51.77.

--

I had seen that ad and printed it out yesterday, using it as a source of
info while calling local marine shops.

Don White June 24th 04 03:05 AM

Trailer 'tongue jacks'

"Dan Krueger" wrote in message
ink.net...
How often do you submerge your jack in sal****er?

Dan

Good question. probably will depend how steep the ramp is..& where I place
the jack on the tongue.
If it happens every time I launch retrieve....maybe 20 times a year in salt
& a bit less in fresh.

Curtis CCR June 24th 04 05:46 PM

Trailer 'tongue jacks'

"Don White" wrote in message ...
"Tony Thomas" wrote in message
What are you jacking that has a tongue weight of over 800 lbs?
I doubt you will find it locally.
I found the XP10S at www.easternmarine.com for $51.77.

--

My tongue weight is only 120-125 pounds but I want an oversized jack to
allow pushing the boat/trailer around on uneven surfaces without fear of
collapse.

My tongue (the one on my trailer - before some smart ass gets cute g
) is about the same, maybe a little less. But as you mentioned
elswhere - depends on where you put it. Mine is not actually on the
tongue so it's holding about 200#. I can't recall what model it is,
but it's "rated" 800# max. I push it around without much trouble.
However, when I am pushing it, I lower the jack quite a bit. I figure
it's less likely to have a problem when it isn't fully extended.

Don White June 24th 04 07:58 PM

Trailer 'tongue jacks'

Checked out a local Wally-Mart yesterday. They have the 1000 lb Reece
standard version. It looks just like the Fulton standard 1000lb. It's $
69.00 CDN, the same as what the marine store quoted me for the Fulton model
whenever it gets here.