BoatBanter.com

-   -   1995 SeaRay Rayder F16, help with getting rear seats out (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/514-1995-searay-rayder-f16-help-getting-rear-seats-out.html)

Kamyo August 4th 03 08:19 PM

1995 SeaRay Rayder F16, help with getting rear seats out

I have a '95 F16 Rayder, I can get access to all of the cushions
except the rear seats (the 3 pocket seats). But I'm having issues
getting to the front bolts / mounts to the rear seat cushions, want
to re-upholster them. Anyone have knowledge on how to get these out
would be much appreciated.

TIA

Harry Krause August 5th 03 10:41 AM

1995 SeaRay Rayder F16, help with getting rear seats out

Grumman-581 wrote:

"Gould 0738" wrote ...
In case anybody gives a Schlitz, this is what Larry's "Sea Ray" is all
about.....
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/8/50641088.htm

Hmmm... Similar to my Sugar Sand Mirage, except I have the 175 hp engine...

It's basically a jet ski with extra seats.

Perhaps, but it's easier to drink a beer while driving than it is with a jet
ski... grin

Just barely a boat, and not the least bit typical of the other 99%
of the Sea Ray line. Hey, whatever winds a guy's clock is fine with
me, but it gets a little silly trying to project the characterstics of

this
boat as representative of Sea Ray's customary build technique.

One school of thought is that a manufacturer will show just as much
attention to detail on their lower end models as they do on there upper end
models... Another school of thought is that with decreased price for a
particular market, something has to give... Probably it's a little bit of
both... A manufacturer with integrity will try to make the best boat he can
no matter what the market, but there is only so much he can do and remain
competitive with the other manufacturers out there... These types of boats
are not geared towards the experienced boat owner... They are great for
smooth water running... I went with my boat because the jet drive is safer
for any skier who might get too close to the stern of the boat... The
shallow water capabilities are pretty nice also...

I think the marketing idea behind this boat was probably an
attempt to help some jet skiers "step up" to a traditional boat
. (like most of them would want to......not).

Perhaps some will want to step up... There are others who might want a jet
ski, but they see it as not being practical for 3+ people... They want a
little more carrying capability... Supposedly, the Sugar Sand boat of mine
is also used for fishing since the front cushions can be removed and it
provides a pretty good flat place to stand and cast... There is also enough
flat space up on the bow to mount a trolling motor...

The guys who enjoy this kind of thing in a boat are more
than welcome to do so

It serves a different mission profile than their other boats... I've had
mine out in 3-4 ft seas and although it does handle them at speed, it can be
a very painful experience... I've actually had passengers come away bruised
after a trip offshore in 3-4 ft seas...

Larry for years told us how wonderful his little jetski boat was, and
that the only problem he had with it was with some seats. He claims to
have more than 1000 hours on the engine and boat. Larry tells some wild
tales, and I think his complaints about his jetski boat are just another
example of his out-of-touch personality. Larry always claims to be
boating with bikini-clad and very young girls. Ever seen a photo of
Larry? If he's going out with young girls, they are his toddler
grandchildren.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Grumman-581 August 5th 03 12:50 PM

1995 SeaRay Rayder F16, help with getting rear seats out

"Harry Krause"wrote ...
Larry for years told us how wonderful his little jetski boat was, and
that the only problem he had with it was with some seats.

What was supposedly wrong with the seats? Needing reupholstering or
something? I've found that mine don't have enough padding for 3-4 ft seas...
When you come down in the rogue trough, you hit hard... I suspect that might
be why the offshore fishing boats have consoles that you stand on so that
your legs can absorb the shock...

He claims to have more than 1000 hours on the engine and boat

That's quite a few hours... If I put 50 hours on mine a year, I'm probably
doing pretty good...

Larry always claims to be boating with bikini-clad and very
young girls. Ever seen a photo of Larry? If he's going out
with young girls, they are his toddler grandchildren.

Well, technically, I guess that would count... And if he in Arkansas, it
might count in more ways that one... evil-grin

Larry August 5th 03 12:54 PM

1995 SeaRay Rayder F16, help with getting rear seats out

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:30:48 GMT, "Grumman-581"
wrote:

One school of thought is that a manufacturer will show just as much
attention to detail on their lower end models as they do on there upper end
models...

Yes, it reflects on the whole company's attitude towards quality.

Another school of thought is that with decreased price for a
particular market, something has to give...

Sea Ray dealers sold this 16' boat for over $16K, which hardly makes
it cheap for a 16' boat in any book. A $16,000 boat should have SOME
quality, don't you think?

BTW, it's the same 175 V-6 Sport Jet as your SS.

Probably it's a little bit of
both... A manufacturer with integrity will try to make the best boat he can
no matter what the market, but there is only so much he can do and remain
competitive with the other manufacturers out there... These types of boats
are not geared towards the experienced boat owner... They are great for
smooth water running... I went with my boat because the jet drive is safer
for any skier who might get too close to the stern of the boat... The
shallow water capabilities are pretty nice also...

Look at the inside of the holed hull on Pascoe's website. "Cheap" is
a good description of the putty he found. It wasn't a Sea Rayder.

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"

Grumman-581 August 5th 03 01:51 PM

1995 SeaRay Rayder F16, help with getting rear seats out

"Larry" wrote ...
Sea Ray dealers sold this 16' boat for over $16K, which hardly makes
it cheap for a 16' boat in any book. A $16,000 boat should have SOME
quality, don't you think?

I've never owned nor even been in a Sea Ray, so I have no idea on what their
quality might be on their low end nor their high end models... At $16K, it's
around the same price as a new Sugar Sand... From what I've gathered on
boats, I suspect that a good percentage of the $16K price is just for the
engine...

BTW, it's the same 175 V-6 Sport Jet as your SS.

Oh... I was going by the specs in the link that the previous poster
posted... If so, it's probably a very similar boat... Same mission profile,
basically... Probably similar performance specs also... Probably sucks in
3-4 ft seas also... grin

Look at the inside of the holed hull on Pascoe's website. "Cheap" is
a good description of the putty he found. It wasn't a Sea Rayder.

I've never seen a Sugar Sand broken up, so I don't really know first hand
what they are really made of, but from what I hear, they are made from hand
laid fiberglass cloth... I've put mine through some pretty good beating
offshore and it seems quite solid...

Gould 0738 August 5th 03 04:48 PM

1995 SeaRay Rayder F16, help with getting rear seats out

Horse****. David Pascoe didn't pull the hull off the Sea Rayder in
those pictures.....the ones with the putty hulls.....not fiberglass

Larry, at least three times now I have pointed out that the "putty" in the Sea
Ray hull was obviously a repair and not part of the original manufacture of the
boat. The evidence is clear- the color, workmanship, and texture is different
than the surrounding material, and it does not appear to have "aged" at all.
Until you care to offer an explanation for this phenomenon or refute my
accurate observation, don't keep trotting out the same crippled horse and
calling it a thoroughbred fact.

Oh, Sea Ray continues to make plenty of mistakes......It's a
Brunswick, you know.....like Bayliner.

Cheap

So, unable to observe, discuss, or debate
the issue on a factual level.......let's all just
take the simple approach that every boat built by the largest boat manufacturer
on the planet is a POS?

If you owned a Honda snowblower, would you presume it was built the same way as
an Acura? Why not? They both have wheels and are made by Honda, right?

Harry Krause August 5th 03 10:48 PM

wrote:

One school of thought is that a manufacturer will show just as much
attention to detail on their lower end models as they do on there upper end
models...

Yes, it reflects on the whole company's attitude towards quality.

Another school of thought is that with decreased price for a
particular market, something has to give...

Sea Ray dealers sold this 16' boat for over $16K, which hardly makes
it cheap for a 16' boat in any book. A $16,000 boat should have SOME
quality, don't you think?

Larry paid a lot less than $16,000 for his SeaRayder. Further, he
couldn't make a deal with his local SeaRay dealer, had words with the
dealership and then bought his unit at a closeout price from a dealer
hundreds of miles away. Then he got upset because his local SeaRay
dealer wouldn't handle his warranty or service problems.

That made me chuckle. Frankly, if I were in the retail business and an
ass like Larry ever strolled in, I'd refuse to sell him anything and ask
him to leave.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Harry Krause August 5th 03 10:49 PM

Larry wrote:

Oh, Sea Ray continues to make plenty of mistakes......It's a
Brunswick, you know.....like Bayliner.

Cheap

If it weren't cheap, you couldn't afford to buy one.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Harry Krause August 5th 03 10:51 PM

1995 SeaRay Rayder F16, help with getting rear seats out

Grumman-581 wrote:

"Harry Krause"wrote ...
Larry for years told us how wonderful his little jetski boat was, and
that the only problem he had with it was with some seats.

What was supposedly wrong with the seats? Needing reupholstering or
something? I've found that mine don't have enough padding for 3-4 ft seas...
When you come down in the rogue trough, you hit hard... I suspect that might
be why the offshore fishing boats have consoles that you stand on so that
your legs can absorb the shock...

He got them soaked and they molded up on him, or something like that. If
he had a relationship with his local dealer, he might have gotten them
replaced. But Larry fought with his local dealer, bought his boat
hundreds of miles away and then got ****ed off when his local dealer
told him to take a hike.

It was delicious.

He claims to have more than 1000 hours on the engine and boat

That's quite a few hours... If I put 50 hours on mine a year, I'm probably
doing pretty good...

Larry always claims to be boating with bikini-clad and very
young girls. Ever seen a photo of Larry? If he's going out
with young girls, they are his toddler grandchildren.

Well, technically, I guess that would count... And if he in Arkansas, it
might count in more ways that one... evil-grin

Larry whines about everything he buys. Some years ago, he was telling
everyone how wonderful a desktop computer he had just purchased. It was
the cat's meow, he said. A few months later, he claimed it was a piece
of crap. He's an uninformed consumer, basically, and doesn't have the
expertise to buy anything more complicated than Miller Lite.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Lloyd Sumpter August 6th 03 03:32 AM

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 05:41:42 +0000, Harry Krause wrote:

Larry for years told us how wonderful his little jetski boat was, and
that the only problem he had with it was with some seats. He claims to
have more than 1000 hours on the engine and boat. Larry tells some wild
tales, and I think his complaints about his jetski boat are just another
example of his out-of-touch personality. Larry always claims to be
boating with bikini-clad and very young girls. Ever seen a photo of
Larry? If he's going out with young girls, they are his toddler
grandchildren.

Whassa matter, Harry? Skippy not around to kick any more?

Lloyd