Curtis CCR

Default 2-cycle oil and smoke

Derek wrote in message . ..
On 14 Jun 2004 09:00:07 -0700, (Curtis CCR)
wrote:

"Camilo" wrote in message ...
"trainfan1"

As far as I'm aware of, most string trimmers, saws, blowers, etc.
require TCW-3 oil. I've never used anything else either... what oil are
you talking about? The pre-diluted brand-specific (Homelite, Poulan,
etc) tiny little doses?

I run all my 2 stroke lawn/garden equipment on TCW-3 mixed at 32:1 for
longevity... had to free up the rings on my Homelite trimmer once in 12
years, it still runs as new...

Rob

While I'm not claiming it makes a *meaningful* difference, there is
supposedly a difference between the oils made for 2 stroke watercooled (e.g.
outboard) and 2 stroke air cooled (e.g. weedwhacker, chainsaw). The air
cooled engine, I've been told, runs hotter than the water cooled engine,
therefore different requirements for the oil. That said, I generally run my
outboard engine oil in the weed whacker.

I never got a straight answer as to why from Bombardier/Rotax, but
their PWC engines (at least of the late 90's vintage I own, specify TC
rated oil, not TCW3. In fact there is clearly printed label right the
oil reservior fill that say "Do not use NMMA ashless oil." Rotax's
private label is low-ash and is not NMMA TCW3 rated. But you can buy
TC rated oil, regular or synthetic, at motor cycle shops.

Only bring this us because these are unusual. As far as I know, Rotax
was the only "marine" engine make out there that said DONT use TCW3.
Though I think it comes from their PWC engines being ramped up version
of their ultralight engines with water cooled heads.

With all that said, I know A LOT of people that have run ashless TCW3
in Rotax engines without any trouble. I run sythetic TC rated oil in
mine and the primary benefit is reduced smoke.

Just a guess here .....
Could TC oil be a better grade than TC3???
Or maybe Jet Ski engines run pretty hot compared to
other water cooled 2 strokes. I they always seen be be either stopped,
or at WOT.

I don't know that it's any better. But I think Rotax probably didn't
want to change specs... and it protected their overpriced, private
label oil sales. Rotax doesn't put any generic rating on their oil.
It doesn't say "TC" or "TCW3". But they specifically say not to use
ashless oil (TCW3 is ashless), and then say that if Rotax oil is
unavailable, you can use TC rated oil.

They can't require the exclusive use of their oil for warranty
purposes.
Boots Crofoot

Get your self some Ams/Oil 2 cycle oil. No smoke and the
BEST oil on the market
"Derek" wrote in message
On 14 Jun 2004 09:00:07 -0700,
(Curtis CCR)
wrote:

"Camilo" wrote in message

[...]

Tom Treadway

An "engine cleaner"? OK, I'll bite. What the heck is that?

TT

"Clams Canino" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Any two stroke run at 50/1 TCW-3 has a very good chance of "OK".

More so if an "engine cleaner" is used as directed once a year.

-W

IBNFSHN

Mercury makes some called Quicksilver Power Tune Engine Cleaner. It work
great if you follow the directions. I'm sure there are some other brands out
there too.

--
Bill
Chesapeake, Va