BoatBanter.com

-   -   Small Boat Recommendation Needed (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4955-small-boat-recommendation-needed.html)

Submariner June 7th 04 05:18 PM

Small Boat Recommendation Needed

Greetings,

I'm in the market for a small, pre-owned, open-fish-style boat to use
for tubing, flats fishing, and an occassional run to local islands and
waterfront restaurants. For those in the Tampa Bay area, I'd like
something capable enough to run out to Egmont Key on calm days, but
small enough to put on a pole lift.

My initial consideration was the 13 Whaler, but even used, they're as
expensive as a 20' boat! My primary criteria is as follows:

1. Small/light enough to put on a pole lift, and no larger than 16'
2. Capable of easily handling 4 adults
3. Reasonably seaworthy
4. Reasonably priced
5. Enough performance to pull a sport tube
6. Center/side console controls (No tiller steer)
7. Fiberglass/composite construction
8. Outboard power (no jet boats)

There's 100 or so boat manufacturers that I've never heard of, so I'm
assuming I haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to
options. Any advice would be most appreciated.......

Thanks!

Submariner June 7th 04 06:55 PM

Small Boat Recommendation Needed

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:40:38 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Why not aluminum?

I don't know to be truthful.......I want ease of care, and most of the
aluminum boat's I've seen that are finished (not the ribbed bottom of
a typical jon boat) have carpet covered wood for the floors, seats,
etc. A Carolina Skiff, for example, is just a simple shell, so it
seems that it would be easy to care for.

Doug Kanter June 7th 04 07:01 PM

wrote:

Why not aluminum?

I don't know to be truthful.......I want ease of care, and most of the
aluminum boat's I've seen that are finished (not the ribbed bottom of
a typical jon boat) have carpet covered wood for the floors, seats,
etc. A Carolina Skiff, for example, is just a simple shell, so it
seems that it would be easy to care for.

In that case, at least find a Lund dealer and take a look at some of their
less expensive models. www.lundboats.com

I have a WC-14, which would NOT suit your purpose since it's a tiller model.
But one or two steps up in their model line are some very nice, stable (and
not overly expensive) boats with simple steering consoles. Find one used
through whatever means necessary. They're great boats. Built like a rock.

Mine is about the cheapest model they make, but it's still extremely stable
in Lake Ontario, where spooky weather comes out of nowhere, and the wave
patterns are utterly bizarre.

Submariner June 7th 04 07:10 PM

Small Boat Recommendation Needed

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:01:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

In that case, at least find a Lund dealer and take a look at some of their
less expensive models. www.lundboats.com

I have a WC-14, which would NOT suit your purpose since it's a tiller model.
But one or two steps up in their model line are some very nice, stable (and
not overly expensive) boats with simple steering consoles. Find one used
through whatever means necessary. They're great boats. Built like a rock.

Mine is about the cheapest model they make, but it's still extremely stable
in Lake Ontario, where spooky weather comes out of nowhere, and the wave
patterns are utterly bizarre.

I think I'll do just that. Thanks for the tip.