BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT--Terrific employment news again (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4903-ot-terrific-employment-news-again.html)

Harry Krause June 7th 04 04:39 PM

OT--Terrific employment news again

John H wrote:

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 10:52:59 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Gould 0738 wrote:

6) There is now an oversupply of college educated workers. Send your kids to
trade school. When the toilet clogs up, nobody is going to call a plumber from
India. :-)

Several times a year, I get asked about building trades jobs for high
school graduates. I always suggest getting into a solid union
apprenticeship program that leads to a journeyman's card in one of the
skilled trades...like plumbing or electrical. Union electricians in the
SF area are doing being than $70 an hour in the package, and have more
work than they can handle, and that will increase as California toughens
its standards for licensed tradesworkers.

If the economy is at rock bottom, unemployment is sky high, and no one can find
work because Bush has personally sent all the jobs, including manufacturing, to
India, then how can "...more work than they can handle..." be true?

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

I'm sure you won't get this, but during much of the Bush recession, the
stock market was tanked, too. Investors looking for a decent return
plowed kazillions of dollars into commercial construction projects in
many markets..they had to do something with the money they yanked out of
the market...and a lot of it found its way into large-scale commercial
construction.

P.Fritz June 7th 04 04:52 PM

OT--Terrific employment news again

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Excellent advice! People working in the health industry and the service
industry will always be in demand.

The sick and the broken will always be with us.

Well actually, the only true recession proof industries are grocery stores
and funeral parlors.

You can get by being sick or haviing the leaky faucet....you will always
have to eat, and death is inevitable.

Gould 0738 June 7th 04 04:59 PM

'Cause when life is the ****z you gotta flush more often?.... :-)

John H June 7th 04 05:09 PM

OT--Terrific employment news again

wrote:

Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

Like what? Office buildings for non-existent occupants?

John H June 7th 04 05:11 PM

On 07 Jun 2004 15:59:45 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

If the economy is at rock bottom, unemployment is sky high, and no one can
find
work because Bush has personally sent all the jobs, including manufacturing,
India, then how can "...more work than they can handle..." be true?

John H

'Cause when life is the ****z you gotta flush more often?.... :-)

I wasn't talking about plumbers. But, if the situation is as bad as many say,
then it would seem like "Porta Jons" would be the business to be in. Hell, I
can't even afford a plumber and my wife still has a job!

P.Fritz June 7th 04 05:12 PM

wrote:

Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

Hope you are wearing hip waders......it's getting piled high was again.

NOYB June 7th 04 05:16 PM

wrote:

Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

Although I'd hesitate to call it the "Bush recession" (since all economic
indicators showed a downward trend beginning in mid-2000), I'll agree with
the basic premise of your argument...and then expand upon it just a bit.
People also took advantage of the low interest rates, and the tax incentives
and rebates from the Bush tax cut to invest in capital.

Harry Krause June 7th 04 05:22 PM

wrote:

Gould 0738 wrote:

[...]

Let's make it easy on you, eh?

Been in downtown DC the last few years?

Been to Chinatown, or the area from 1st and Mass to just past the Arch?
Been around the arena where the pro basketball teams play?
Been on K Street?

NOYB June 7th 04 05:25 PM

"John H" wrote in message
On 07 Jun 2004 15:59:45 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

If the economy is at rock bottom, unemployment is sky high, and no one

can
find
work because Bush has personally sent all the jobs, including

manufacturing,
India, then how can "...more work than they can handle..." be true?

John H

'Cause when life is the ****z you gotta flush more often?.... :-)

I wasn't talking about plumbers. But, if the situation is as bad as many

say,
then it would seem like "Porta Jons" would be the business to be in. Hell,

can't even afford a plumber and my wife still has a job!

I had a plumber to my house for a "$49 minimum" house call. (As a dentist, I
charge $45 for an exam...and I have a lot higher overhead thanks to CDC and
OSHA regulations). Anyhow...he said I needed a new toilet. $250-300 for
the toilet and $250 to install it. $250 to install a toilet?!?!? It takes
a 1/2 hour, and the cost of supplies is less than $10. I paid him the $49
and showed him the door.

I bought a snake, removed the toilet, snaked the drain, and my old toilet
works fine now. Cost? Less than $30 for one wax rim and a Wal-Mart toilet
snake...and $49 paid to one crooked plumber to misdiagnose my problem.

Harry Krause June 7th 04 05:27 PM

NOYB wrote:

"John H" wrote in message

[...]

Damn. I'll have to modify my opinion of you. I thought for sure part of
your problem was that you were full of .... But, if your old toilet is
working...well...