BoatBanter.com

-   -   Any slips in Southern California for 43 foot sailboat? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4881-any-slips-southern-california-43-foot-sailboat.html)

Jim June 3rd 04 01:10 AM

Any slips in Southern California for 43 foot sailboat?

I'm interested in buying a 43' sailboat, but I've called marinas in
Newport Beach, Long Beach, San Pedro, Redondo Beach and Marina Del
Rey. Each has told me that there is a mininum waiting list, usually
two years and as long as ten years. I can't imagine how slow sailboat
sales must be if a buyer can't find a place to put the boat.

Anyone have an insight into this??

Don White June 3rd 04 02:01 AM

Any slips in Southern California for 43 foot sailboat?

"Jim" wrote in message
snip
I can't imagine how slow sailboat
sales must be if a buyer can't find a place to put the boat.

Anyone have an insight into this??

Are you looking for new or used? It would be great to buy a boat from a
club member if you could inherit his space.

Jim June 3rd 04 04:15 AM

Any slips in Southern California for 43 foot sailboat?

For the price range, between 100 to 125k, I have to look at used ones. I
still can't understand how the brokers can sell boats if there aren't any
slips available. A couple of the brokers in Marina del Rey were
sympathetic, but not overly helpful, when I asked them about my problem.
Just seems crazy to me.
"Don White" wrote in message

snip

Jim June 3rd 04 04:47 AM

Any slips in Southern California for 43 foot sailboat?

Tearing out a bunch of slips in MDR caused a shortage. When they build
new slips in MDR, and they build the new marina in San Pedro, things
will change. 2 years?

Try LA Harbor, Leeward Bay, Lighthouse, Pacific, Cabrillo Way, all the
dumps. You'll find something.

Jim June 3rd 04 04:55 AM

Any slips in Southern California for 43 foot sailboat?

Tearing out a bunch of slips in MDR caused a shortage. When they build
new slips in MDR, and they build the new marina in San Pedro, things
will change. 2 years?

Try LA Harbor, Leeward Bay, Lighthouse, Pacific, Cabrillo Way, all the
dumps. How about Shoreline? Last time I looked there were empty slips
down by the beach end. Not desirable, though.

You'll find something.

Jim June 3rd 04 05:23 AM

Leeward Bay

Jim,

I haven't tried Leeward Bay yet, although I know that they're advertising in
The Log. I'd prefer a bit better marina, but if the market doesn't
cooperate, I really have no choice. One of the Bayport marinas in Newport
actually laughed at me when I inquired about a slip. What's going to happen
in 20 years, when there are (presumably) many more boats and people in this
state? What a crazy problem that this state has.

DSK June 3rd 04 01:41 PM

Jim wrote:
I'm interested in buying a 43' sailboat, but I've called marinas in
Newport Beach, Long Beach, San Pedro, Redondo Beach and Marina Del
Rey. Each has told me that there is a mininum waiting list, usually
two years and as long as ten years. I can't imagine how slow sailboat
sales must be if a buyer can't find a place to put the boat.

Anyone have an insight into this??

A lot of times, the slip conveys with the boat when sold. Or at least,
the right to lease the slip... skips you right ahead of the waiting
list. I don't know why the brokers you asked didn't mention this, it
*is* one of the big problems in selling boats.

In a lot of places where they are building new marinas or upgrading old
ones, they aren't putting in slips for smaller boats. The profit is
greater on a few mega yachts, and there seem to be an increasing number
of them.

DSK

Jim June 4th 04 04:38 AM

Leeward Bay

Leeward Bay is a real dump, but so is Newmarks (I'll bet they have an
opening), Lighthouse, Yacht Haven, Cabrillo Way, does not matter. Get a
slip somewhere, then get on a waiting list for the one you want.

Everything is cyclical. I waited on a waiting list for Cabrillo Marina
in the late 80's, while keeping my boat at Flites. Now, that was a dump.
Still is.

As soon as my name came up, the 2 year waiting list at Cabrillo
disappeared. The current ones will disappear too.

Recently I asked for a slip at a marina you'd like. They gave me a list
of choices. When I asked for the availability for a 40 foot slip, they
said there was a waiting list, but they could find me something in a
couple of months.

Don't be discouraged, the lists may go more quickly than they tell you.
You know how it is, when there's a waiting list, a lot of people get
on multiple lists when they only need one slip. Kind of like the gas
shortage of the 70's.

Good luck
Jim