Phil

Default cleanup on alum boat

hi folks from australia

1992 model centre console aluminium "tinny" as we call them down here, has
fairly bad paint all over.
Any thoughts very welcomed about best way to fix...is sandblasting best
option?, what other
ways are there to get the old stuff off.

Greg

Blasting might be too aggressive. D/A it with a sanding pad. Once you get all
the loose paint off, shoot it with an etching 2 part primer and paint it.
Derek

On Sun, 30 May 2004 11:37:32 +1000, "Phil" woohoo wrote:

hi folks from australia

I hear that "tinnys" are light enough to use on the underside of the
world, but anything heavier just falls off .... is this true?

Good on ya', mate, no worries.

1992 model centre console aluminium "tinny" as we call them down here, has
fairly bad paint all over.
Any thoughts very welcomed about best way to fix...is sandblasting best
option?, what other
ways are there to get the old stuff off.

Mark Browne

Phil,

I cleaned restored a 1957 Crestliner that may have been in the same
condition you describe. I did most of it with sandpaper and an air powered
osciliting sander. I also did some parts of it with chemical stripper.

When removing the paint with the sandpaper, I noticed that while I was
working on stubborn areas I removed material from rivit heads and areas
already free of paint . You want to leave as much metal as possible.

If I had it to do all over again, I would do more with the chemical
stripper. I would remove the bulk of the paint with the stripper. Makes
sure that rinse off the chemical residue completly. Finish finer sandpaper
before painting

Note that this is good time to replace "iffy" rivits.

You can see what I was up to at:
www.retrocrestliner.com
See Viewer photos page 16.

Best of luck with your project,

Mark Browne

"Phil" woohoo wrote in message news:40b93ac7@news1...
hi folks from australia

1992 model centre console aluminium "tinny" as we call them down here, has
fairly bad paint all over.
Any thoughts very welcomed about best way to fix...is sandblasting best
option?, what other
ways are there to get the old stuff off.

OT Hanoi John Kerry Christopher Robin General 34 March 29th 04 01:13 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM