Default Simple economics and the cost to fuel a boat....

While fuel prices are in the news a lot these days, we might do well to
realize that the value of crude oil hasn't really gone up as much as we
think- much of the price pain is because the US dollar has gone down.

Oil is an international commodity, and the producers can sell it almost
anywhere in the world. The US dollar is getting clobbered on foreign
exchanges all around the planet. It took $1.60 Canadian to buy a US
dollar about a year ago, and it now takes only about $1.20. It's the
same with almost all other currencies vs. the dollar. If we're going to
buy an internationally marketable resource and pay for it with a
declining currency, why should we be surprised if it takes more of
those depreciating dollars to buy the same bbl of oil?

Woodchuck

I'm reading in this weeks Time mag which states we only import 42% of our
oil. American oil companies SCREWING Americans! Just like Enron and all the
other American companies F'in us!

wrote in message
ups.com...
While fuel prices are in the news a lot these days, we might do well to
realize that the value of crude oil hasn't really gone up as much as we
think- much of the price pain is because the US dollar has gone down.

Oil is an international commodity, and the producers can sell it almost
anywhere in the world. The US dollar is getting clobbered on foreign
exchanges all around the planet. It took $1.60 Canadian to buy a US
dollar about a year ago, and it now takes only about $1.20. It's the
same with almost all other currencies vs. the dollar. If we're going to
buy an internationally marketable resource and pay for it with a
declining currency, why should we be surprised if it takes more of
those depreciating dollars to buy the same bbl of oil?

NOYB

wrote in message
ups.com...
While fuel prices are in the news a lot these days, we might do well to
realize that the value of crude oil hasn't really gone up as much as we
think- much of the price pain is because the US dollar has gone down.

Oil is an international commodity, and the producers can sell it almost
anywhere in the world. The US dollar is getting clobbered on foreign
exchanges all around the planet. It took $1.60 Canadian to buy a US
dollar about a year ago, and it now takes only about $1.20. It's the
same with almost all other currencies vs. the dollar. If we're going to
buy an internationally marketable resource and pay for it with a
declining currency, why should we be surprised if it takes more of
those depreciating dollars to buy the same bbl of oil?

Hogwash. Denmark, the Netherlands, and several other countries pay more
than $6/gallon for gas. Countries like Iraq pay less than 20 cents. The
value of the US dollar has nothing to do with either of those situations.

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

"The value of the US dollar has no bearing on how many US dollars
Americans must pay for imported oil"? Did you really just advance such
a theory, NOYB?

Why would you do that? Could it be because the runaway federal spending
by the R majority congress and approved by the R president is one of
the primary factors causing our dollar to take a beating?

Please explain why the relative value of a nation's currency has no
effect on the pricing of imported commoditites (such as gourmet Iraqi
hogwash).

NOYB

wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Oil prices are based in U.S. dollars. If fifty US dollars buys a barrel of
oil, and the dollar's value drops relative to the Euro, then the price of
oil appears cheaper to countries that use the Euro. Oil doesn't appear more
expensive to people buying it in US dollars! Only supply and demand can do
that.

Why would you do that? Could it be because the runaway federal spending
by the R majority congress and approved by the R president is one of
the primary factors causing our dollar to take a beating?

A weak dollar is good for trade. We may have some of the highest trade
imbalances that we've ever seen...but they're mostly with China. And that's
only because China has pegged its currency to the US dollar.

If the dollar was strong, the trade imbalance would be even worse because it
would cause a larger trade deficit with other countries besides China.

Please explain why the relative value of a nation's currency has no
effect on the pricing of imported commoditites (such as gourmet Iraqi
hogwash).

Because the price of oil is based in US dollars. Always.

A weak dollar just makes the oil cheaper to other countries. It doesn't
make the oil more expensive to the US consumer.
However, oil is *not* cheaper to other countries despite the relative
strength of their currency. Why? Because the price of oil is a factor of
supply and demand (whether that demand is real or perceived)...and not the
strength of the US dollar.

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Your reply overlooks the fact that the seller will demand a greater
number of US dollars for a bbl of oil when that currency is weak. The
exporters of oil make a vast number of purchases in Euros and other
currencies that are ascending against the dollar, and want to maintain
or increase their own purchasing power when the transaction is
completed.

Suppose you accepted returnable pop bottles for a filling. Let's say
that the deposit refund in FLA is 5-cents a bottle, so if you accepted
payment in bottles, I would need to bring in 4000 pop bottles for a
$200 drill and fill at your practice. If the depopsit refund dropped to
4 cents (the value of my currency declined) I would need 5000 pop
bottles to pay for the exact same work.

Yes, the price of oil is express in USD, (for now- may soon be in
Euros). But as the purchasing power of those US dollars spent in the
international marketplace continues to drop a greater number of them
will required for the seller to maintain a consistent purchasing power.

NOYB

wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

NOYB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Nope again. What drives the price is competition from competing currencies.
Not the deflated value of the dollar.

The
exporters of oil make a vast number of purchases in Euros and other
currencies that are ascending against the dollar, and want to maintain
or increase their own purchasing power when the transaction is
completed.

Suppose you accepted returnable pop bottles for a filling. Let's say
that the deposit refund in FLA is 5-cents a bottle, so if you accepted
payment in bottles, I would need to bring in 4000 pop bottles for a
$200 drill and fill at your practice. If the depopsit refund dropped to
4 cents (the value of my currency declined) I would need 5000 pop
bottles to pay for the exact same work.

Or I could look towards people paying with pop cans if their value is
higher relative to the bottles.

P. Fritz

"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It is simple economics.....but it is not the value of the dollar against
foreign currency........It is supply and demand. Right now, demand is
nearly equal to supply, THAT is why the cost has increase so dramatically

P. Fritz wrote:
"NOYB" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Because supply can barely keep up with demand, the seller will ask for
a greater number of dollars (a variable) against a bbl of oil (a
constant) when the dollar is weak.

Our irresponsible federal spending spree is destroying the dollar and
contributing to the increase in the number of dollars demanded for a
bbl of oil. I know that's an uncomfortable fact for some people (who
insist the R govt can do no wrong) to accept, but it cannot be ignored.

By the way, it looks like we're going to be $8 TRILLION in the hole by
late September. Wasn't this bout $5.5 Trillion when Bush took office?
Heck, even Bush ought to be able to comprehend VETO, it's only a
four-letter word. :-)
One of you guys in his "approved audience" ought to send him an email
and explain that he can exert some control over congressional
spendthrifts, if only he will choose to do so.

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

All I can say is thank heaven we have the party that pledged to bring
us fiscal accountability and reduce government spending in power. Can
you imagine where we'd be if those fiscally irresponsible D's were at
the helm?