BoatBanter.com

-   -   Scientific American, 1887 (battery squabble continued) (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4689-scientific-american-1887-battery-squabble-continued.html)

Gould 0738 May 22nd 04 06:44 PM

Scientific American, 1887 (battery squabble continued)

In compiling a list of about 1000 references stating that a lead acid battery
cell
is 2.2 volts, I stumbled across a reprint of an article from Scientific
American
in 1887.

What a gem!

Illustrations and all.

It's an interesting item about a battery system for lighting railroad passenger
cars.
The inventors were excited about introducing electric light into railcars
because the kerosene lamps being phased out were considered dangerous.

I started a fresh thread because:
There's just a handful of grumpy old men interested in debating whether a
battery cell is 2.1 or 2.2 volts, but anybody dealing with DC systems on a boat
will enjoy
the Scientific American article.

http://catskillarchive.com/rrextra/sdbat.Html