BoatBanter.com

-   -   Outdrive Lubes (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4668-outdrive-lubes.html)

Jay May 21st 04 05:05 AM

Outdrive Lubes

Not sure if I should be concerned, I'll let the group decide.

At the end of last season (my first with this current boat), I changed the
outdrive, gear lube, with what I /think/ was the "high performance" Merc
oil. It was blue in color...

I picked up the slightly cheaper stuff today... same exact stuff, except it
wasn't branded as "high perf." and I noticed its color was more a dark
typical "oil" color.

My question is, does anyone think mixing the two different types is a bad
thing? I only really topped off a few oz. with the non high perf.
brand....is the cheaper stuff crap? Does it matter?

BTW: it's a 3.0 with an Alpha 1 drive

TIA

-j

Joe Blizzard May 21st 04 01:43 PM

Outdrive Lubes

"Jay" wrote
My question is, does anyone think mixing
the two different types is a bad thing?

Merc says you shouldn't mix them:
http://www.mercurymarine.com/maintenance_faqs#1159

Jay May 21st 04 03:53 PM

Outdrive Lubes

doh
thanks,

-j
"Jay" wrote

Joe Blizzard May 22nd 04 03:30 AM

Outdrive Lubes

"Jay" wrote
doh
thanks,

On the other hand, they don't say why or what might happen if you do. (Total
protonic reversal?) Motor oil comes in synthetic/petroleum blends. That's
the difference, btw, the blue "high performance" stuff is synthetic and the
brown "premium" is petro based.