Matt Lang

Default What is your fuel consumption?

Guys,

I am thinking about getting a harbercraft jetboat ... these things are
made from aluminum and have the 175 HP Mercury sportjet..

So far so good ... Now what raises the fuel warning flag are the
terms:

- jet
- 2 stroke
- carburator (two of them

The boat will burn about 5 gallons per hour at 30 mph... now I was
wondering how this compares to a similar sized fiberglass hboat with
115-150 HP 4 Stroke outboard..

What is the fuel you burn at cruise speed and WOT, whats your boat
size/weight and what motor are you running ..

I am interested in how the relatively light alu jetboat compares to a
more conventional boat with 4 stroke motor..

Any info is appreciated

Matt
Calif Bill

I run a Jetcraft 21' Bluewater and get about 1.75-2 mpg depending on
throttle opening. Mostly WOT. You might also look at the Willy boats
Predator. It is also a Sportjet powered boat. I have heard that the
Harbercraft's are not as good as the former Jetcraft's (they bought jetcraft
and moved it to BC). Call Willy boats and ask them. Mine is a 1991 Kodiak
pump, but I understand the newer Hamilton's are about 95% of a prop boat
now.
Bill

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...
Guys,

I am thinking about getting a harbercraft jetboat ... these things are
made from aluminum and have the 175 HP Mercury sportjet..

So far so good ... Now what raises the fuel warning flag are the
terms:

- jet
- 2 stroke
- carburator (two of them

The boat will burn about 5 gallons per hour at 30 mph... now I was
wondering how this compares to a similar sized fiberglass hboat with
115-150 HP 4 Stroke outboard..

What is the fuel you burn at cruise speed and WOT, whats your boat
size/weight and what motor are you running ..

I am interested in how the relatively light alu jetboat compares to a
more conventional boat with 4 stroke motor..

Any info is appreciated

Matt

DSK

Calif Bill wrote:
I run a Jetcraft 21' Bluewater and get about 1.75-2 mpg depending on
throttle opening.

Dang, we measure fuel in gallons per hour (1.75 on our last trip). Of
course, we burn diesel and only go about 8 knots.

Speed costs!

Fair Skies
Doug King

Calif Bill

"DSK" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
I run a Jetcraft 21' Bluewater and get about 1.75-2 mpg depending on
throttle opening.

Dang, we measure fuel in gallons per hour (1.75 on our last trip). Of
course, we burn diesel and only go about 8 knots.

Speed costs!

Fair Skies
Doug King

Speed is addictive. Why I drove a Corvette when I raced sports cars.

basskisser

"Calif Bill" wrote in message nk.net...
"DSK" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
I run a Jetcraft 21' Bluewater and get about 1.75-2 mpg depending on
throttle opening.

Dang, we measure fuel in gallons per hour (1.75 on our last trip). Of
course, we burn diesel and only go about 8 knots.

Speed costs!

Fair Skies
Doug King

Speed is addictive. Why I drove a Corvette when I raced sports cars.

So you could be slow? There are, and were, many, many sports cars, in
racing trim faster than a 'vette.

Calif Bill

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...
"Calif Bill" wrote in message

nk.net...
"DSK" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
I run a Jetcraft 21' Bluewater and get about 1.75-2 mpg depending on
throttle opening.

Dang, we measure fuel in gallons per hour (1.75 on our last trip). Of
course, we burn diesel and only go about 8 knots.

Speed costs!

Fair Skies
Doug King

Speed is addictive. Why I drove a Corvette when I raced sports cars.

So you could be slow? There are, and were, many, many sports cars, in
racing trim faster than a 'vette.

1966. But in racing trim those other cars / sports racers were much more
costly. When the 911B came out, the cost jumped to $30k for a race ready
car. This from the $7k range. I almost bought a Ferrari GTO. They were
available after the Datona race for $5500. Did not buy it, as I figured I
could not afford to replace a ZF trannie. Bad decision. Most collectable
Ferrari. Highest price paid during the 90's boom was $16.5 million. Would
have been are really fantastic ROI.

Wayne.B

On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:29:24 -0400, DSK wrote:

Dang, we measure fuel in gallons per hour (1.75 on our last trip). Of
course, we burn diesel and only go about 8 knots.

==========================

Doug, what kind of boat/engines?

DSK

Wayne.B wrote:
Doug, what kind of boat/engines?

36' hard chine tugboat with a Ford Lehman 135SP.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...76569411zLxjAQ

We have a four blade prop which I suspect has a bit too much pitch,
clean & light the engine will not get up to rated RPMs.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...73346078zEdpFX

1600 rpm (which is a little below recommended cruise) gives us about
7.25 knots average and is relatively quiet & efficient. Other cruises
we've been in more of a hurry and burned 2 ~ 2.2 gph.

Fair Skies
Doug King

Gary Warner

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...

now I was
wondering how this compares to a similar sized fiberglass hboat with
115-150 HP 4 Stroke outboard..

I don't know about 4 strokes but I believe there was a rule of thumb
that said for 2 stroke outboards they would burn about 10% of
their rated horsepower at WOT. So a 115 HP would burn
somewhere around 11 gallons per hour @ WOT.

Though I may be wrong....

Stanley Barthfarkle

1985 Bayliner 1952 cuddy
18.5' fiberglass 'modified V' hull
19.5' Length over all
2200 lbs dry weight
1985 Volvo Penta AQ125B 4 cyl 105 hp 4 stroke
1 barrel Solex carb 35 mm
Volvo Penta 270 Stern drive
14 X 19 modified SS 3-blade prop (14 X 21 effective)
StingRay Hydrofoil
35 mph WOT @ 4800 RPM
32 mph cruise @ 4400 RPM

Premium unleaded fuel (92 octane)
4 adults & 1 dog, ski equipment, coolers, etc-
6-7 gph WOT
5 gph cruise