BoatBanter.com

-   -   Winches (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4340-winches.html)

Barbara Lene April 29th 04 10:28 PM

Winches

I have Lewmar winches on my sailboat. How do I clean and service them?

Thanks,

Wayne.B May 1st 04 04:44 AM

Winches

On 29 Apr 2004 14:28:00 -0700, (Barbara Lene) wrote:

I have Lewmar winches on my sailboat. How do I clean and service them?

It's not mandatory but you'll find it helpful to gets an exploded
parts diagram from Lewmar before you start. They also sell their own
brand of grease if memory is correct.

Basically the procedure is to disassemble the winch, being careful not
to lose track of what goes where. Clean everything in kerosene,
repack the bearings with grease, lightly oil the ratchet pawls, and
then reassemble.