BoatBanter.com

-   -   portable fuel tank leaking (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4333-portable-fuel-tank-leaking.html)

RB April 29th 04 05:16 AM

portable fuel tank leaking

My 6 gal portable o/b fuel tank leaks around the swivel fitting on top of
the tank. It seems to do this when internal pressure builds up. Even
opening the screw down vent doesn't give enough pressure relief to prevent
the oozing fuel around the swivel fitting.

Is this an operator problem, or do I need to get a replacement tank. Any
particular ones to stay away from?

RichG April 29th 04 01:09 PM

portable fuel tank leaking

Can you replace the swivel fitting itself, or just wrap with Teflon and
re-install?? RichG, manager, Carolina Skiff Owners Group on MSN
http://groups.msn.com/CarolinaSkiffOwners

.. .

RB April 29th 04 04:04 PM

portable fuel tank leaking

No on fixing the leak. The answer seems to be to replace the tank.

I was just wondering if this is a common problem with other tanks, too. If
not, I have a much better chance of getting one that doesn't leak.

Jim April 29th 04 07:20 PM

portable fuel tank leaking

If you can't stop it by wrapping with teflon tape as RichG
suggested, then you do need to replace it. Probably someone
tightened it too much, and being plastic, it gave. At least
this is a relatively cheap boat 'repair'. :^) These tanks
tend to run between $15 and $25 depending where you get it
and if it contains a built in fuel guage.

Also, if it's coming up that high and leaking, perhaps the
tank is also being overfilled too. There should be a line
along the side of the tank indicating the maximum fill level.

-Jim