BoatBanter.com

-   -   Maximum Trailer Width (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4217-maximum-trailer-width.html)

Gary Warner April 21st 04 05:12 PM

Maximum Trailer Width

A little late now but....anyone know maximum width a trailer can be
without any permit?? We're in Mass and interested in Northeast
states.

April 21st 04 05:26 PM

Maximum Trailer Width

Gary
Contact the Department of Transportation, you can get their number from any
State Police office.

Rules very from state to state, but generally if you are less that 8 1/2
feet in width you will have no troubles.

There are rules covering towed width, (measuring at the widest point),
Length, (trailer and towing vehicle), Height, (ground up).

What kind of breaking system did you put on the trailer?

Looked like your boat might be a wooden boat, so trailer breaking would be a
good thing to look into for safe travels.

Gary Warner April 21st 04 05:29 PM

Maximum Trailer Width

"Gary Warner" wrote in message

A little late now but....anyone know maximum width a trailer can be
without any permit?? We're in Mass and interested in Northeast
states.

I had searched for a while before posting the above. There must be some law
that
you won't find an answer to a question until AFTER you post it on Usenet.

Anyway, found this if anyone is interested:

http://www.tiptrailers.com/resource/height_width.html

Gary Warner April 21st 04 05:31 PM

Maximum Trailer Width

Also this:

"http://www.aemfg.com/Instructions/Towing-Laws.pdf

Gary Warner April 21st 04 05:34 PM

Maximum Trailer Width

wrote:
Rules very from state to state, but generally if you are less that 8 1/2
feet in width you will have no troubles.

Thanks for the reply. Found info on the net just after posting. Yep, 102" =
8.5 feet seems to be
the law in almost all states. ~~ Our trailer has dual disc brakes.

Again, Thanks,
Gary.