BoatBanter.com

-   -   '87 Merc 3.0 intake leak? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4210-87-merc-3-0-intake-leak.html)

Dean April 21st 04 02:09 AM

'87 Merc 3.0 intake leak?

I'll keep it short. Runs great when cold. Choke opens up, it stumbles badly
and stalls.

Sprayed carb cleaner as recommended along seam between manifold and cylinder
head. It worked. Straightened it right up. That was last fall.

Figured it must be the manifold gasket. When I went to pull the manifold
bolts, they didn't seem real tight, but instead of torquing them down and
bolting everything else back together to try it out, I kept going and took
the manifold off (DUMB!!! DUMB!!!). Now I have to scrape everything clean
and reassemble.

Anyway-two questions:

1/ Where is the best place to buy the gaskets I need to reassemble this
mess?
2/ Is it normal for manifold bolts to work themselves loose?

Thanks.
Dean

Justin Webb April 21st 04 03:27 AM

'87 Merc 3.0 intake leak?

The best place to get it would probably be a Mercruiser dealer. 27-96429 is
the part number. It should only be 12-15 dollars. As far as the bolts coming
loose i wouldn't say it happens very often. Maybe on aluminum intakes, but
not cast iron.
Good luck,
Justin Webb
www.sterndrive.cc

Mikkilla April 21st 04 01:04 PM

'87 Merc 3.0 intake leak?

Any MercCruiser dealer *or a autoparts store*
and Yes i've seen it happen. don't for get the locktight

In article ,
says...