BoatBanter.com

-   -   Carb/FI Cleaner & Other Maintenance Info (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/4026-carb-fi-cleaner-other-maintenance-info.html)

Matt April 9th 04 11:18 PM

Carb/FI Cleaner & Other Maintenance Info

I have '94 Chaparral w/ a 5.7L V8 235HP. I bought it about years ago and
since it is about 10 years old, is there anythign specific I should do to
the engine? Is it ok to dump some of the Carb. Cleaner when I fill up the
gas tank? (I do that with my Tahoe (same engine)). Or any other tips you
recommend?

Thanks! ! !

-Matt

Coff April 11th 04 12:53 AM

"Matt" wrote in message ...
I have '94 Chaparral w/ a 5.7L V8 235HP. I bought it about years ago and
since it is about 10 years old, is there anythign specific I should do to
the engine? Is it ok to dump some of the Carb. Cleaner when I fill up the
gas tank? (I do that with my Tahoe (same engine)). Or any other tips you
recommend?

Thanks! ! !

-Matt

Matt,

I posted esentially the same question last week and got about 4
replies. I use a Valvoline once-a-year product in the fuel systems of
our cars, and wondered if it would be a good idea in our carburated
5.7L 250hp I/O.

Today I bought Gummout (sp?) fuel system cleaner that is supposed to
clean the varnish from the system, clean up the carb, and work on any
carbon build-up. I just treated 105 gallons of fuel (3 bottles of
"large vehicle" size 1 x 35 gallons) today. I was concerned about
running it through my secondary Racor filter system in the bilge, but
my marina mechanic thought it was a good idea since there is no
performance issue that would warrant a carb rebuild. He said it
"can't hurt". Hope he's right!

Hope this helps you.

Coff

Damn, life is good!

John H April 11th 04 01:08 AM

On 10 Apr 2004 16:53:59 -0700, (Coff) wrote:

"Matt" wrote in message ...
[...]

I missed the original post, so I hope you're following the thread, Matt. My big
worry now, with a 5.7L Mercruise I/O is with the exhaust risers and manifolds.
If my engine were running badly, then I might consider carb cleaners, etc. But
my big fears would be with water getting in through deteriorated risers and
manifolds. My engine is 7 years old, and I'll probably replace them this year.
$600 is cheaper than a new engine.

FWIW.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD